Nu-Clear Filtration

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Anyone use the 500 series canister/canisters? I got a chance to pick up a setup with this system for less than half the price new and it comes with a pump. Just wonder if they work well. I don’t mind the harder cleaning if they work well.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I hated it.

Crystal clear water for the first few days. Downhill from there.

Like any fine filter it plugs quickly, but it’s near impossible to clean those cartridges and wayyyyy to expensive to just use them once.

I tried bleach and pressure washing, never lasted more than a few days. Wayyyy to much work to change and clean for that little time.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
There isn’t much out there on them? These are the 530 models with the gauges. Even in the few reviews I found, they were good, but recommended cleaning them every three weeks vs the company recommendation or they are a pain to clean as you stated. So I don’t doubt what you are saying at all. I’ve committed to them already, but I got a pump, nice 125g tank and stand with them, so I’m not really out. I wonder if there would be a way to make or put baskets in them? I may try that. Or incorporate them into a sump build? Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
A friend has these off his sump seems to work great crystal clear water. He tried getting me to get them too but I'm happy with just a sump. His parameters are always spot on. No idea what model they are he has three in line.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
A friend has these off his sump seems to work great crystal clear water. He tried getting me to get them too but I'm happy with just a sump. His parameters are always spot on. No idea what model they are he has three in line.
Sounds like a plan, now to get on with a sump. I mean, after all, what’s the worst that can happen. I end up with a sump without them. :hitting: Thanks.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Pleated cartridge filters are a pain to clean with any real waste load.

But if you are set on that option you can get a pool cartridge filter for about the same price, with much more surface area (50sq. ft) vs only 30sq. ft for the aquarium branded one.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
924EC860-5696-4C8D-AEA7-D87EA21749B0.jpeg
Pleated cartridge filters are a pain to clean with any real waste load.

But if you are set on that option you can get a pool cartridge filter for about the same price, with much more surface area (50sq. ft) vs only 30sq. ft for the aquarium branded one.
Not set on it, but thought of cutting acrylic/plexi discs with holes in them to fit and displace media/bio, sponges, etc. I have attached a crude drawing. Don’t laugh. Lol! Let me know if you think this or something similar would work? They are clear also, thinking I could see how nasty they are. I have two and they are stackable to make one larger.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
View attachment 1353504

Not set on it, but thought of cutting acrylic/plexi discs with holes in them to fit and displace media/bio, sponges, etc. I have attached a crude drawing. Don’t laugh. Lol! Let me know if you think this or something similar would work? They are clear also, thinking I could see how nasty they are. I have two and they are stackable to make one larger.
I don't know much about the nu-clear but with cartridge filters you would typically determine when its time to clean via pressure gauge. Pressure rises as pleated cartridge clogs.

Adding a water diffuser plates like that might be difficult to get even flow distribution across whatever media used in the housing.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I might be wrong on the brand but I believe that they make a media type chamber also. Like I said my buddy has three in line 1 has a pressure guage like said above, at least 1 is pleated 1 is media might be two pleated one of them has uv.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store