The Dumbing Down of Seachem

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, nothing has changed in the formula. I still use the old instructions.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Maybe suggest that they have separate instructions if they have enough real-estate on the bottle such as general directions and advanced hobbyist instructions (However, it's truly not too advanced lol) and knowing the amount of chloramine the product removes is fairly important and should probably be its own section. It could be a marketing push to have the average consumer burn through their product and only have certain info available online.

I know from checking the Pasadena Water & Power reports that I have a little more than half the concentration of chloramine in my tap water so 5ml actually is probably closer to 75 gallons or a tad more per napkin math. I did this several years while ago when looking at hardness,, average ph range, and mineral content when keeping past groups of Tropheus. Actually, the responsible thing to do would be to look at this years or last years report to see if the chemistry of the tap water has changed lol.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It could be a marketing push to have the average consumer burn through their product and only have certain info available online.
If that was the case they wouldn't be using 1 ppm chloramine as their base number. I even suggested that they were selling themselves short by using such a low residual. Due to my conversation with the CEO they actually added detailed instructions for advanced hobbyists, or experts, on their website, but I see now that has been removed as well.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Well, I would have to say...we live in an era where user-friendly is king and companies make some pretty silly decisions relating to that concept. I feel like a great many commercials, ads, and instructions imply that the consumer is dumb or naive.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
This hobby has changed over the past 40 years. The advent big box stores selling inexpensive equipment, the internet, Craigslist , online fish stores, shows like Tanked make everyone think they can be successful in the hobby.
The customer base has expanded and companies like Seachem have to cater to the entire base not just the educated hobbiests.

Reactions: Fat Homer

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
and companies like Seachem have to cater to the entire base not just the educated hobbiests.
Except they aren't catering to the educated hobbyist, I guess you missed this part.

Due to my conversation with the CEO they actually added detailed instructions for advanced hobbyists, or experts, on their website, but I see now that has been removed as well.

The only version left online, as well as on the containers, is the dumbed down version.

Coming soon to a book store near you - Water Changes for Dummies.

Reactions: Fat Homer

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Didn’t miss anything. They are catering to their base. I don’t know this for sure but I am guessing that their base is now the folks that don’t want or care to do calculations.
Joe Customer is standing in PetSmart with a bottle of Fluval Aqua Plus in one hand and a bottle of Seachem Prime in the other. One says dose one cap per 10 gallons the other has an equation to calculate the correct dosage I would imagine the customer walks out with the competitors product 95% of the time if the price point is equal.
It could also mean that their customer service phone center has been alleviated of the same repetitive phone call asking for clarification on said dose. Maybe it is less expensive for them to hire one person to answer educated hobbiest questions vs 100 people to answer their new base’s questions?
I am actually agreeing with what you are saying. I am just tendering reasons as to why they have to dumb it down to stay relevant.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
For sure, I get all of that - but why remove the more detailed instructions that were posted on their website? Those that want to make a more informed accurate decision, could easily do so using their recommended guidelines, just like many of us had for many years. Now the only place one can find that info will be in threads such as this. That part makes absolutely no sense to me.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
The only Seachem product I use is Flourish. Looking at their website I see that they actually have a dose calculator but it does not include freshwater. Wondering if maybe this is something that is coming in the future?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store