Lima shovelnose cat with red belly piranha???

Brad.croft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
In setting up a 220gallon standard size aquarium. I'm going to be getting a Lima shovelnose cat and I'm tossing ideas for tank mates back and forth and had the idea of a school of ted belly piranha after the cat is a decent size. Will this work? Or will I be out a catfish

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
In setting up a 220gallon standard size aquarium. I'm going to be getting a Lima shovelnose cat and I'm tossing ideas for tank mates back and forth and had the idea of a school of ted belly piranha after the cat is a decent size. Will this work? Or will I be out a catfish
Even a large Lima will likely be eaten, how about trying wimple piranhas and exodons instead?
Should leave Lima alone.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I never had any problem housing all sorts of fish with my group of six red bellied piranhas in a six foot tank, although they always had plenty of space and were well fed. Found that they would have a go at each other before at the other fish. That said, not sure that i would want to risk it now with a lima. Maybe a shoal of larger barbs or geophagus instead, maybe even bala shark if the tank is furnished well and not too bright.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Brad.croft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
I never had any problem housing all sorts of fish with my group of six red bellied piranhas in a six foot tank, although they always had plenty of space and were well fed. Found that they would have a go at each other before at the other fish. That said, not sure that i would want to risk it now with a lima. Maybe a shoal of larger barbs or geophagus instead, maybe even bala shark if the tank is furnished well and not too bright.
It's more so the Lima is a dream fish of mine because there is 0 chance I'll ever be able to get a tank big enough for a Tig or TSN so I'm settling for a Lima. I'm looking for a predator tank my original idea was some large SA cichlids but now I'm leaning towards a school of predators. I dont need live feeding I just want an aggressive or semi aggressive tank. Buddy above said Wimple and Exodon and I'm feeling that.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I wouldn’t do a wimple as it’ll pick on the Lima. Edison’s would nip at the Lima. Need to get not so aggressive tankamtes.

Brad.croft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
I wouldn’t do a wimple as it’ll pick on the Lima. Edison’s would nip at the Lima. Need to get not so aggressive tankamtes.
What could you recommend that can match what I am looking for, or am I just at a loss?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Lima is a good choice, could have more than one too. If you want a bit of action from a medium sized good looking catfish, see if you can get hold of a "bolt catfish" , aguarunichthys torosus, make great pets, can be hand fed and are active, especially if you put a powerhead front to back with air intake, they love it.
Think you need to look at the wimple piranha idea, from the little i know of them they survive by eating fins and scales off other fish - I could be wrong but I think deadliestviper7 is talking about leaving out the lima not keeping them all together.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What could you recommend that can match what I am looking for, or am I just at a loss?
If you want to keep predator fish. Then ypu got to keep larger lima like catfish. That would include dorado, pbass, wolves etc. Otherwise try the smaller with smaller cichlids, bichirs, Bush fish, bgk, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store