Your favorite mini-monster fish

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Lets set it at a fish under 5 inches- the dithers, interesting bottom fish... etc...

Say a little about them, why they are your favorite, and include a picture or video, if possible :)

Here is mine in quarantine. Not yet colored up, but amazing nonetheless. Each almost as expensive as my Altums because they are a rare import.

A wild-caught African characin from the Democratic Republic of the Congo:
alestopetersius brichardi "Red"

Here is some info on this fish if interested:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/alestopetersius-brichardi/

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very nice. Starting to like and maybe get into apistogrammas and ninja wood catfish.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I really like apistogramma; although I have never had them. Ninja cat... hmm- now that sounds like one I need to look up. :)
Very nice. Starting to like and maybe get into apistogrammas and ninja wood catfish.

Edit: what a beautiful catfish kno4te kno4te .

If anyone is interested in this catfish - here is a bit about it:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/bottom-of-the-tank-driftwood-catfish.htm

Last edited:

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I love my little synodontis' and adore corydoras of almost any description, but I will always have a soft spot for bettas.
So many live absolutely miserable lives in bare cups with no water changes.. Poor little guys. :(

I love them because they're so personal and interactive, always happy to come to the front of the tank for a "chat" and mine have all gotten along reasonably well with suitable tank mates. Plus, how could you not love their adorable grumpy little faces? :D

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Bettas would be my favorite. I’ve only had one, but he was amazing. My first personable fish.
These are my only two pictures of him. 01DD0ABB-DD9E-4ECB-9C8E-8F0E3FEC5D11.jpeg5148570C-BACB-407B-AE87-0D044E4DAF7D.jpeg

I miss him, Someday I’ll get another.
I feel really bad and haven’t gotten over the guilt. He was my first “fishtank” fish. He died because it didn’t occur to me that he needed a heater in his tank in the winter. My house temp was around 50F that winter and it got to him.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I've grown to like rainbowfish and want more varieties. I knew nothing about them as they weren't around in the mid 90's, at least I didn't see any in my Chicagoland area LFS back then. I discovered them when I started researching dithers for my clown loaches that I've had from mid 90's.

I think I'd like a Schoutedeni Puffer. I'd never have room for a Mbu, but Schoutedeni Puffers look like a mini version on them.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
20190108_072613.jpg
This guy is a psychotic A hole. Can't keep him with ANYTHING. Not fish of any kind. He murders other crayfish and you can forget planting anything. He won't eat the plants he just rips them up as soon as you walk away. I hate this little bastard! ...but he's so pretty lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store