Supporting your hobby

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Did you ever consider letting them advertise in your store beau1990 beau1990 in return for something? Seems logical to me.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
When I became too old for my first occupation, I went back to school for microbiology and chemistry (20 previous years in the aquarium hobby had given me a lot of the basics), after finishing my degree I ended up a water chemist/microbiologist for a large water supplier. And although this didn't necessarily add any more to my basic income, it did give me access to the latest water testing technology, and equipment, gear like digital spectrometers and high end microscopes that cost more than my truck, not a bad way to go.
Our resident expert on water toxology. Applause. And what a cool life experience to share with us. They actually all are here on this thread. What a great idea for a topic!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Back when, I was working at a VERY young age. Our parents instilled the work ethic early. I worked multiple jobs as a young child. In my restaurant job I worked hard at getting promoted fast for more money. Dishwasher-to waiter, chef, manager, and a lot of my spare money went into my tanks---until I was fifteen and bought my first car. From then on my car and my fish competed for my money...they still do.
Then tank(s) had three meanings for me: Aquarium, gas tank, big heavy (muscle) car. (Pontiac GTO) OK they were beautiful tanks (1rst and 3rd item) And I only called the GTO a tank (lovingly), when it needed me to fix it. Which wasn't often...dependable ride. Should have hung on to that baby!

Reactions: islandguy11

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I am very close to applying at my lfs during the winter months (slow season) as part time , more to learn than for the $. But I have a sneaky suspicion I will end up spending more than I make if I do it. Lol
Hopefully you'll get a company discount. I would hope so. Though not sure if appropriate to bring it up during interview. Now month paid vacation, I'd ask for THAT when applying. (Kiiiiding.)

Reactions: Matteus

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
In my early married years had little money and little space as we were renting. Number of tanks was few and they were small and all bought used.

Then after a lapse with no fish, got back into it 15 years ago as I was approaching retirement. For some reason I decided to keep a spreadsheet on fish expenses and income from selling fish that have bred. Not a big set up, over that time period have been running any where from 2 to 6 tanks, usually three or four for the most part.

If I were to sell my existing tanks, supplies, and fish today I think I would come close to breaking even over 15 years, even if I include electricity costs. I think the only place I would be out money is the water costs which I have not tried to calculate. For me, a pretty cheap hobby over 15 years.

Reactions: Matteus and Hendre

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Like OP Mod Hendre and many others here...

Clint Eastwood Work for Money 2.jpg

I run pretty high pressure corporate team building events. Fish keeping is one way I relax and maintain at least a bit of sanity. I also act as Celebrant and have married tons of couples on lovely island beaches, with these also helping to fund my aquarium adventures.

Last edited:

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hopefully you'll get a company discount. I would hope so. Though not sure if appropriate to bring it up during interview. Now month paid vacation, I'd ask for THAT when applying. (Kiiiiding.)
Yes it’s a 25% discount, already looked into it. Lol

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Like OP Mod Hendre and many others here...

View attachment 1353410

I run pretty high pressure corporate team building events. Fish keeping is one way I relax and maintain at least a bit of sanity. I also act as Celebrant and have married tons of couples on lovely island beaches, with these also helping to fund my aquarium adventures.
I love this...

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store