Best Sand ever!!

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Really can't say when the snails arrived. Got some Bacopa a month back, but the tank that it is and has been in is a snail free zone. Mostly I take cuttings from my own plants and spread around my tanks.

Yeah I guess Aqueons are pretty decent filters. The Aqueon HOBs usually last me about 2 years. I have one that is about 5 yrs is in storage as a backup right now. Seems like I have traded parts with some of the non working ones.

I'll have to look up Aquaclears. May be familiar with them. There are a lot of Aqua somethings.
Wow you're not familiar with aquaclears? They're the titan of hobs with marineland a good second. I have 3 ACL 110s on my main tank containing 4lbs ceramic media each with sponge pre filters...you just remove the basket inside and use the huge capacity...customize it any way you want...more on this in the filtration threads later.

Had aquaclears before and got 'em now.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Ok I looked them up. Nope not familiar. Have to remember we are backwoods here, not as sophisticated as you USA Central guys from DC. I have something similar in a appearance-- smokey see through HOB on a micro tank with Rasbora's.

Your Aquaclear filter looks pretty cool though. I am a big on biomedia too. I have matrix in all my filters. My Cannister filters have big baskets for media too. I never weighed them though. I think matrix might be lighter than ceramic. A lot of perforations. B. bacteria hotels. I really don't know what the advantage of one over the other.
Shucks, I don't know what a ACL 100 is either. I guess you big city fellar gona hafta edikate mea. :). Sorry it took so long to git back ta ya but my furend called mea.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Ok I looked them up. Nope not familiar. Have to remember we are backwoods here, not as sophisticated as you USA Central guys from DC. I have something similar in a appearance-- smokey see through HOB on a micro tank with Rasbora's.

Your Aquaclear filter looks pretty cool though. I am a big on biomedia too. I have matrix in all my filters. My Cannister filters have big baskets for media too. I never weighed them though. I think matrix might be lighter than ceramic. A lot of perforations. B. bacteria hotels. I really don't know what the advantage of one over the other.
Shucks, I don't know what a ACL 100 is either. I guess you big city fellar gona hafta edikate mea. :). Sorry it took so long to git back ta ya but my furend called mea.
Sounds like you need a bit of help...is there someone I can call for you? They provide free white coats! And the rooms are nice and quiet... :nilly:

Sand arrived today! So that puts me in the home stretch. Everything else should be arriving tomorrow afternoon or evening so this will be 'setup' weekend. I'm experimenting with veggies baby O Brick likes. Definitely loves peas. So tonight I tried sweet potato. He gulped it down like candy. I swear if I threw a baby in there he'd eat it...

I'll post a quick pic of the sand boxes. Not opening anything tonight, though. Fish profiles are in the works but will have pics. Bizzy, bizzy...it's supposed to snow this weekend so its a good time to complete this project.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Hello, I must have missed the notification fixing dinner. No white coats are necessary. I slipped into my backwoods accent, because it sounded like you thought I was ignorant because I never heard of Aquaclears. Maybe you didn't mean it. I have been in the hobby a lot of years too. There are many products out there, and I may not know them all. I'm over it. I like you and don't want it to wreck the friendship that is happening. As far as the aquatic hobby... and life; I believe we are all students and teachers.

Cool sand colors, I remember looking at the sample chips on the Sandtastik site and liking those colors--good choices.
Great that your stands are arriving. I am waiting on my sand and a replacement light strip that went out on a new tank. Also a pellet food variety I ordered for my bottom feeding fish.

Right now I am waiting for my pregnant female tuxedo platy to come into range so I can net her with a quick swipe and not stress her. She was always big, but she got much bigger very fast. Since she got bigger the male has been nipping at her abdomin. And my crown tail betta has been attacking her recently since she has recently outsized him and he rules the roost. Maybe he is asserting his dominance like a bantam rooster kicking butt over rooster bigger than himself. With his large finnage she can usually outrun him. Still it is not comfortable life for her suddenly.

I hope it works out with the vegetables. Please let me know. I feed mine water wisteria because it grows so rapidly in my tanks and was giving them duckweed, but I finally got rid of that. I have read peas help with their digestion, you probably know that.

Thanks for the pics. Cheers.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hello, I must have missed the notification fixing dinner. No white coats are necessary. I slipped into my backwoods accent, because it sounded like you thought I was ignorant because I never heard of Aquaclears. Maybe you didn't mean it. I have been in the hobby a lot of years too. There are many products out there, and I may not know them all. I'm over it. I like you and don't want it to wreck the friendship that is happening. As far as the aquatic hobby... and life; I believe we are all students and teachers.

Cool sand colors, I remember looking at the sample chips on the Sandtastik site and liking those colors--good choices.
Great that your stands are arriving. I am waiting on my sand and a replacement light strip that went out on a new tank. Also a pellet food variety I ordered for my bottom feeding fish.

Right now I am waiting for my pregnant female tuxedo platy to come into range so I can net her with a quick swipe and not stress her. She was always big, but she got much bigger very fast. Since she got bigger the male has been nipping at her abdomin. And my crown tail betta has been attacking her recently since she has recently outsized him and he rules the roost. Maybe he is asserting his dominance like a bantam rooster kicking butt over rooster bigger than himself. With his large finnage she can usually outrun him. Still it is not comfortable life for her suddenly.

I hope it works out with the vegetables. Please let me know. I feed mine water wisteria because it grows so rapidly in my tanks and was giving them duckweed, but I finally got rid of that. I have read peas help with their digestion, you probably know that.

Thanks for the pics. Cheers.
Uh, like I was joking, sense of humor here????? Just like I assumed you were joking with the accent thing. I didn't mean anything at all, man, people just need to relax and laugh sometimes. That's the problem with the internet, context gets lost sometimes. I never felt the need to prove anything to anybody online, I just enjoy myself and gather information.

It will be good to get this project finalized and underway and over with. Getting tired of having to keep cleaning and w/c these small holding tanks because these big fish are so messy...everything was a poop fest when I got home tonight. I'd really forgotten how hard it is to maintain water parameters with small tanks.

I've made some hutches for the parrots. The main thing now is figuring out the best way to weigh them down. I could get some fishing line I suppose but I'm debating using some smaller stones from the main tank to tie some nylon thread to. The hutches are made from plastic/silk grass tiles from the craft store. I tied the panels together with green and blue rubber bands and cut openings.

I read up on various veggies for fish for Vitamin C and fiber. Lima beans apparently are good too, as well as kidney and navy beans. Bananas and mangoes are mentioned but I think I'll try banana next. I think my two biggest parrots are getting ticked at being cramped in those small tanks!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Uh, like I was joking, sense of humor here????? Just like I assumed you were joking with the accent thing. I didn't mean anything at all, man, people just need to relax and laugh sometimes. That's the problem with the internet, context gets lost sometimes. I never felt the need to prove anything to anybody online, I just enjoy myself and gather information.

It will be good to get this project finalized and underway and over with. Getting tired of having to keep cleaning and w/c these small holding tanks because these big fish are so messy...everything was a poop fest when I got home tonight. I'd really forgotten how hard it is to maintain water parameters with small tanks.

I've made some hutches for the parrots. The main thing now is figuring out the best way to weigh them down. I could get some fishing line I suppose but I'm debating using some smaller stones from the main tank to tie some nylon thread to. The hutches are made from plastic/silk grass tiles from the craft store. I tied the panels together with green and blue rubber bands and cut openings.

I read up on various veggies for fish for Vitamin C and fiber. Lima beans apparently are good too, as well as kidney and navy beans. Bananas and mangoes are mentioned but I think I'll try banana next. I think my two biggest parrots are getting ticked at being cramped in those small tanks!
Creative with the fish cabanas. I found rubber bands disintegrate. Maybe your nylon thread doubled or tripled, or fishing line. I dry fit my my rock caves but I have also used aquarium adhesive or marine goop. Might be good for your stone weights. Either way, I would give it 2-3 days to cure before submerging. I don't know about your creatures, but my cichlids like to move anything around that isn't anchored or huge. Even large objects. They don't try to dig up their home caves though.

What have you fed them so far.? (As far as greens--vegetables)

Good point about being misunderstood over the airwaves. Sometimes that can happen in person. Like the Santa Esmeralda song --My intentions were good, please don't let me be misunderstood. Yes, I have a sense of humor. I probably know close to 50 jokes. I wars joshin wit da couuntry twang.

Cheers.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Creative with the fish cabanas. I found rubber bands disintegrate. Maybe your nylon thread doubled or tripled, or fishing line. I dry fit my my rock caves but I have also used aquarium adhesive or marine goop. Might be good for your stone weights. Either way, I would give it 2-3 days to cure before submerging. I don't know about your creatures, but my cichlids like to move anything around that isn't anchored or huge. Even large objects. They don't try to dig up their home caves though.

What have you fed them so far.? (As far as greens--vegetables)

Good point about being misunderstood over the airwaves. Sometimes that can happen in person. Like the Santa Esmeralda song --My intentions were good, please don't let me be misunderstood. Yes, I have a sense of humor. I probably know close to 50 jokes. I wars joshin wit da couuntry twang.

Cheers.
No problemas here...

And now...TA DA...the stands. And yes, we're heading into the final stretch!

Small damage on one but not a real issue...got a 10 percent discount in like, five minutes after delivery. Wayfair is the bomb.

Meanwhile after fumbling around with the hutches I decided to combine 2 ideas I had. The first was to anchor the hutches with rocks, etc. The second was to take the terra cotta pots I had and wrap silk vines around them. So I was like, wait! I can just slide the pots into the hutches and trim them! And so, problem solved...I figure why make it harder than it needs to be. So sometime later today Patch and Kong will go in buckets while I set them up. Still working on placement since it will depend on distance from the outlet. The orange color of the pots picks up parts of the backgrounds nicely. The hob is packed with ceramic media and I've added sponge prefiters. In the left chamber will go the 'seeded' media from my main tank, in addition to items from the holding tanks. The pots are 8-9 inches for their fat butts.

First tank is for Patch, the second one Kong.

stands.jpg Patch.jpg Kong.jpg

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
It's all good here too. The culmination of your waiting. Yeah , setting up a tank, it's a process. And you have two. Ah but the entire result is so satisfying and feel good.

Your fish caves look good and they fit in with the backgrounds.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
It's all good here too. The culmination of your waiting. Yeah , setting up a tank, it's a process. And you have two. Ah but the entire result is so satisfying and feel good.

Your fish caves look good and they fit in with the backgrounds.
Thanks, I'm actually working so I just peep in from time to time...could use a nap quite frankly. The buckets have the pothos in them, I'll be transferrng Patch and Kong soon. Boss is trying to act like a punk now with Brick but that's gonna get interesting real soon the way Brick is growing. He's starting to do that oscar thing with the open mouth now...I plan to order some of those silicone realistic fish as a distraction until I get some smaller tankmates for quarantine. Thinking of some sailfin mollies or a T Bar Cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store