The Dumbing Down of Seachem

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ok so I looked up my report and called into the water quality control office.

They use clorine at 3ppm low reading 5ppm as the high reading. Standard Prime doseing removes 4ppm, should I just stay at 4 or dose for 5?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
During spring run off, heavy rains, storms, times when the residual will probably be at its greatest, I would treat at the high end. Chances are you will also smell the extra chlorine when they are treating at the upper limits.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
RD. RD. watch the videos in this thread, it'll help dumb you down so the new seachem instructions will be appropriate for you. I guess the CEO of Seachem isn't as much of a "stand-up guy" as you thought he was, if he actually was, he wouldn't assume stupidity.

kkirkt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2017
Really late to the conversation , but I have a few generic comments (probably not too related anymore, so stop reading unless you have plenty of time to waste) . . .

I think on the consumer side the real issue is laziness, not intelligence. I'm conceited enough to think I can easily do the math (I was a chemistry major) but getting the numbers (residual levels) is not easy (and I'm lazy). I've never seen a water report in my area and I couldn't find one online. Given I live in a small town, I'm guessing I'd spend a lot of time calling around just trying to get in touch with someone who could answer my questions (on water residuals).
Of course I could test my water, but I'd need to do it many times to truly get useful data (although testing just prior to a water change would probably be adequate).

IMO relating math ability with intelligence probably indicates our own personal biases. I think it's better to think of math ability like (foreign) language ability- the more exposure you have and the more you've studied it the better you are likely to be at a given language (or subject like math).

Now the humbling thing is to admit that even though I have 2 degrees in chemistry, I never thought much about the chemistry in our aquariums. I just "cook-book" it, following the directions on the bottles. Not thinking about it, I hadn't considered the ramifications on O2 levels due to excessive dosing of Prime.
I'm guessing most hobbyists, including myself, have usually assumed that more Prime is the safer default than too little. Since I mix my water, salt, and Prime in a separate container, and allow it to mix for a while, hopefully my O2 depleted water (due to excessive Prime) would have time to come to a new equilibrium, but since I have no real guesstimate on the kinetics of those reactions, I'm really just hoping everything will be fine.

Give me the data and I could calculate it, but again, I'm just too lazy to put the time and effort into getting the data.

If you actually read all of this post, you're either really dedicated to this topic or really bored since I've just been typing randomly with nothing pertinent to add to the conversation (except the clarification that poor math ability does not mean low intelligence). Sorry to wast your time!
[The math geek in me finds this topic interesting since I enjoy algebra.]

Reactions: Fat Homer

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Carp, do everyone a favour and keep your jackassery to yourself. If this topic doesn't interest you, you don't have to comment.
But I do find it interesting, it interests me how you went from defending the CEO of Seachem to condemning him. Have you finally accepted the teachings of D Doc-Fish ?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
But I do find it interesting, it interests me how you went from defending the CEO of Seachem to condemning him. Have you finally accepted the teachings of D Doc-Fish ?
Please do not de-rail this thread any further, the topic at hand is an interesting one and there is a proper disscusion going on.

If you have a problem with RD. I would advise you take it to PM instead of airing it out here...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just for the record, I'm not condeming anyone. While I may not agree with some of the changes, such as removing the more detailed online instructions, I can hardly blame the CEO, or anyone else at Seachem for todays consumer base being lazy, ignorant, mathematically challenged, or whatever. Considering the amount of work and cost associated with a label change, they obviously didn't do this just for fun.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store