Help with judging if this is safe!!??!!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It should be just fine, a lot of these type products mix in fiberglas to improve the strength.

I probably wouldn't use it hooked over the tank rim though as water would be heavier than just food. You could also contact the mfg. Miller directly to see if it is water safe for animals.

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
I had no intention of hanging on the side of the tank. I'm making a shelf just below a wide narrow window above the tank 12" to put a container like this on so pothos can get full day light and not require lights for growth.

I have read up on fiber reinforced plastic and the general consensus is as long as the plastic they use is ok then it's ok. But I have not found what I call a definitive yes. I have contacted the company and the initial person I spoke to couldn't for sure say yes so I'm now working my way up the ladder and waiting to hear back.

Reactions: tlindsey

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
$89!!!!! that's crazy. do you have a home depot ? I got almost the identical thing for $5. I used them in my bakki shower that had pothos in it as well as bio. I don't have a picture of it all up and running but I can post pics of the parts and explain it later when I get home.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's probably made from HDPE and to be honest would have been just fine at that, HDPE is very tough and durable. Why they felt the need to reinforce it with glass fibre god only knows. All the glass fibre will do is make it a bit more rigid. Still totally safe though for what you need, you're good to go.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
By the way, I totally agree with BichirKing, $89 for that is robbery. I think they're trying to sell it for way more than what it's worth due to the glass fibre in it. Marketing crap. You can get a bog standard plastic trough of similar size for way way cheaper.

Reactions: BichirKing

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That's better.

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
I can buy that exact trough for $40 locally at a feed store instead of over 80, just used that as a link.

Every flower trough I've seen locally has preexisting holes in the bottom. I'll look into the one you linked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store