300 gallon poly tank

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
It kills me to look at this. I was dead set on doing a longear sunfish tank, but everytime I look in here it draws me back to the dark side. I know one thing I'm only doing one really big tank and it's going to be fully auto when we find a house.

What kind of poly is the zoomed in pic?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
It kills me to look at this. I was dead set on doing a longear sunfish tank, but everytime I look in here it draws me back to the dark side. I know one thing I'm only doing one really big tank and it's going to be fully auto when we find a house.

I believe it’s one of the congi’s

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Its a congicus.

The issue with polys is they are soo damn addictive but are great fish man. Longears are nice fish i know they like temperate temps but how would they do with warmer waters yr round ?

Im the same one nice big tank thats it. After the move id like to add some plecos and be done but the vulture still has allot of growing to do so id have to take that into consideration. Regardless of what changes i make i could never be polyless lol.

One piece of advice dont get a 300. Go bigger. Go as big as possible. I thought a 300 would fit the bill but once these fish put on size you realize that the tank isnt very big. I love the tank but regret not going 500+ gals. A little wider and longer would have been perfect. The issue is acrylic jumps up in price when you go over 8ft. The panels are made in 8ft sections so essentially they cream you $$$ wise for going say 10 ft long but wtf its a once in a life time purchase right

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Its a congicus.

The issue with polys is they are soo damn addictive but are great fish man. Longears are nice fish i know they like temperate temps but how would they do with warmer waters yr round ?

Im the same one nice big tank thats it. After the move id like to add some plecos and be done but the vulture still has allot of growing to do so id have to take that into consideration. Regardless of what changes i make i could never be polyless lol.

One piece of advice dont get a 300. Go bigger. Go as big as possible. I thought a 300 would fit the bill but once these fish put on size you realize that the tank isnt very big. I love the tank but regret not going 500+ gals. A little wider and longer would have been perfect. The issue is acrylic jumps up in price when you go over 8ft. The panels are made in 8ft sections so essentially they cream you $$$ wise for going say 10 ft long but wtf its a once in a life time purchase right
I have no idea about warmer temps but I can check with more experienced people. I really like these poly's though and that vulture is awesome.

300 is just an all around great big tank. It fits most places and isn't all that expensive to change water. There has to be a cutoff point somewhere lol. I think if I pick the stock wisely it will be very enjoyable.

I could look it up but I'll ask anyway. What poly's stay under 2'? I really love ornati looks wise. If I could find a piping designer job near you (in FL) I would move in a heart beat.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have no idea about warmer temps but I can check with more experienced people. I really like these poly's though and that vulture is awesome.

300 is just an all around great big tank. It fits most places and isn't all that expensive to change water. There has to be a cutoff point somewhere lol. I think if I pick the stock wisely it will be very enjoyable.

I could look it up but I'll ask anyway. What poly's stay under 2'? I really love ornati looks wise. If I could find a piping designer job near you (in FL) I would move in a heart beat.
If you go with a 300 there isnt a poly that is out of reach. Can they get bigger sure but these fish arent active. I dont know many active members that have/had 2ft polys. Maybe hao and vancouver

Man we gotta get you this job in FLA. Your telling me there isnt one available in the whole damn state ?

I love the vulture but i'd prefer a bolt cat. They look allot alike and the bolt stays at a more manageable size. I honestly dont know if the vulture will work out long term

Reactions: moe214

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
If you go with a 300 there isnt a poly that is out of reach. Can they get bigger sure but these fish arent active. I dont know many active members that have/had 2ft polys. Maybe hao and vancouver

Man we gotta get you this job in FLA. Your telling me there isnt one available in the whole damn state ?

I love the vulture but i'd prefer a bolt cat. They look allot alike and the bolt stays at a more manageable size. I honestly dont know if the vulture will work out long term
The 300 is happening. Especially with a move ill just roll it into the loan and buy my fish with the money for it.

I've looked but can't find anything. Its 40 today and I was wishing i was further south.

Bolts are super rare though right?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The 300 is happening. Especially with a move ill just roll it into the loan and buy my fish with the money for it.

I've looked but can't find anything. Its 40 today and I was wishing i was further south.

Bolts are super rare though right?
I thought i saw one available somewhere recently. Yeah they are hard to come by atleast for me. I think its one of those fish that when you see it, you buy it.

Atleast go wider than i did. Because of where the tank is i had to go 30 wide. Adding a foot or soo in depth shouldnt change the price that much its the length where things get pricey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Blonde congi is as thick if not a little thicker than a whiffle ball bat at her fattest
20190112_104820.jpg 20190112_104817.jpg 20190112_104743.jpg

P PYRU dark africa beckons

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I thought i saw one available somewhere recently. Yeah they are hard to come by atleast for me. I think its one of those fish that when you see it, you buy it.

Atleast go wider than i did. Because of where the tank is i had to go 30 wide. Adding a foot or soo in depth shouldnt change the price that much its the length where things get pricey
Best bet for bolts is online.

You can keep all sunfish in 70 plus degrees yearound , another fish that could be considered is sauger

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Best bet for bolts is online.

You can keep all sunfish in 70 plus degrees yearound , another fish that could be considered is sauger
I just did a quick search of some of the online vendors im familiar with and couldnt find any available. Ive only seen them available once in the past few yrs by an mfk vendor. The fish had some bacterial infection and was never sold. Cool that he was an honest guy though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store