Fish with cloudy eye

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
Hey mfk

Last week I noticed a fish with one cloudy eye, I assumed it was due to fighting because the tank is heavily stocked with mbuna, peacocks and haps that range in size from 1.5"-5"

Well today I noticed now the 2 fish now have a cloudy eye.

They are eating normally and even acting normally, very engaged with the other fish.

I have no "BULLIES" with the lights on, but who knows what happens while I am asleep.

The fish that have cloudy eyes are peacocks (at least I think the are, hard to tell sometimes)

I have been running this tank at 78 degrees with frequent daily 40% changes

My water parameters are good 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10-20ppm on nitrates. ph is constant 7.5 because of my tap and my frequent water changes.

I use safe for my dechlorinator.

I feed a medium (usually done with feeding in less than 30 seconds) feeding once a day of new life spectrum 1mm pellets and rotate in some northfin veggie along with some brine shrimp once a week

No plants

No changes to this tank in the last 4 months. No new fish added and no contamination from my other tanks.

I have in my tool kit, paraguard, api general cure some metro plex and some focus, oh and some garlic guard.

Please advise

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey mfk

Last week I noticed a fish with one cloudy eye, I assumed it was due to fighting because the tank is heavily stocked with mbuna, peacocks and haps that range in size from 1.5"-5"

Well today I noticed now the 2 fish now have a cloudy eye.

They are eating normally and even acting normally, very engaged with the other fish.

I have no "BULLIES" with the lights on, but who knows what happens while I am asleep.

The fish that have cloudy eyes are peacocks (at least I think the are, hard to tell sometimes)

I have been running this tank at 78 degrees with frequent daily 40% changes

My water parameters are good 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10-20ppm on nitrates. ph is constant 7.5 because of my tap and my frequent water changes.

I use safe for my dechlorinator.

I feed a medium (usually done with feeding in less than 30 seconds) feeding once a day of new life spectrum 1mm pellets and rotate in some northfin veggie along with some brine shrimp once a week

No plants

No changes to this tank in the last 4 months. No new fish added and no contamination from my other tanks.

I have in my tool kit, paraguard, api general cure some metro plex and some focus, oh and some garlic guard.

Please advise
A little maracyn2 will work well for eye issues.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Dose the whole tank?
Can move to a qt tank and dose in there if easier. But if not able then yes dose the tank. Watch ur water parameters.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Im wondering, aren't infections of the eye that cause cloudiness typically gram positive, due to
Streptococcus or related bacterium?

When cloudiness is accompanied by Pop-eye, however, this would be due to aeromonas bacteria, which is gram negative. Is there swelling of the eye or just cloudiness?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Personally would observe aquarium for a few minutes up close and look for harassment like you stated earlier.

Reactions: jcarson

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
Personally would observe aquarium for a few minutes up close and look for harassment like you stated earlier.
In my tank there is always levels of harassment.
The 2 fish in question do their fair share of harassment, and in my opinion aren't bullied.

In fact after the last time out I had to give my tank bully there has been a balance in the tank like never before. That's why I have not added to it or moved fish around in this tank.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store