20 long South American or Asian biotope?

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
I am in the works of planning a 20 long biotope (it’s really happening). I am unsure if I want a true South American biotopenwithout plants. I want the tank to have lots of wood with maybe a few plants. The only problem is I’m graciously being sent a bag of aquasoil for free from someone off Instagram! So my plan is South American fish and Asian plants (tiger lotus, crypts, dwarf water lettuce and maybe dwarf sag or jungle Val and maybe ludwigea?). Also here is my stocking, I can’t decide between green neons or ember tetras (leaning towards green neons)

9639AC82-F9AB-48D2-9ED4-EC655CF76EF8.png

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Sounds like a fun tank.
If you are unsure about plants you could go with more lotus and lilies. This gives some plants and nice cover to make fish feel safe. Like a lotus field.

If you do go that route, I would consider forgoing the hatchets and make each group of tetras slightly larger. The shallow depth of the tank means the top should not look empty in that area.

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Sounds like a fun tank.
If you are unsure about plants you could go with more lotus and lilies. This gives some plants and nice cover to make fish feel safe. Like a lotus field.

If you do go that route, I would consider forgoing the hatchets and make each group of tetras slightly larger. The shallow depth of the tank means the top should not look empty in that area.
Well, I am going to be doing the more Asia themed tank with a few schools of small rasboras, then to break up the "biotope" I will add panda cories. I just love cories and have to have them in my tank. Plants will be lotus, crypts, java fern and mosses. I don't know if I will keep the shrimp in the stocking or not, I don't think they would do well in soft water?

AquStockImage.png

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
There are types of shrimp that do well in soft water- amano and bumblebee shrimp, for example.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Not sure about your area but here those rasboras can be hard to find and expensive.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
we have tons of websites here that sell them for like $12-$15 for 6 rasboras
The Wetspot out of Portland has excellent quality fish- a lot of selection when comes to rare, hard to find Rasboras. I would definitely not try to "get the best price," but the best quality ( not that you were). In the long run it will save you money.

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
The Wetspot out of Portland has excellent quality fish- a lot of selection when comes to rare, hard to find Rasboras. I would definitely not try to "get the best price," but the best quality ( not that you were). In the long run it will save you money.
I know, it was just an example

Reactions: Lilyann

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
after reading more on the rasboras I do not think they will fit my college lifestyle. I will probably do with 15 Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), 9 Salt and Pepper Cory (Corydoras habrosus), and 3 Otos (Macrotocinclus affinis)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store