Fire Eel - feeding pattern...do they eat less often as they grow?

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Hi,

I bought my Fire Eel just under 18 months ago now.

I think he's doing great. He has grown from a little worm, to quite a big boy.

BUT...I am starting to get a little concerned about how often he eats.

When he was little (6" in length and very skinny), he used to eat nearly every day (wax worms). He'd eat at least 50 wax worms a week.

As he reached 1ft, he'd eat once every 3 days. Now, he's like 2ft - he only eats maybe once a week.

He eats Morio Worms now, and has done for about a year. He'll eat probably 10+ in one sitting, then maybe another few later that day or the next day. Then he won't eat anything at all for 7+ days sometimes. When he was under 1-2ft, he'd eat maybe 10 Morio worms ever 3 days or so. So not only is he eating less often, he appears to be eating less overall.

He is hand trained, so I know when he is hungry because he comes up to the top and waits. I feed what he wants, then he goes down back to his hole.

Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Hi,

I bought my Fire Eel just under 18 months ago now.

I think he's doing great. He has grown from a little worm, to quite a big boy.

BUT...I am starting to get a little concerned about how often he eats.

When he was little (6" in length and very skinny), he used to eat nearly every day (wax worms). He'd eat at least 50 wax worms a week.

As he reached 1ft, he'd eat once every 3 days. Now, he's like 2ft - he only eats maybe once a week.

He eats Morio Worms now, and has done for about a year. He'll eat probably 10+ in one sitting, then maybe another few later that day or the next day. Then he won't eat anything at all for 7+ days sometimes. When he was under 1-2ft, he'd eat maybe 10 Morio worms ever 3 days or so. So not only is he eating less often, he appears to be eating less overall.

He is hand trained, so I know when he is hungry because he comes up to the top and waits. I feed what he wants, then he goes down back to his hole.

Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks.
My M. Dayi (black spot eel) does the same thing. He goes on hunger strikes for 7-10 days at a time and then goes back to eating worms like a mad man. Not sure if it's common feeding behavior for mastacembelus eels or not, but mine appears to have the same pattern as yours.

Reactions: Abyss

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If it's active and growing, then my guess is it's not starving. A fire eel that size would I think weigh around 1 pound. If you can calculate the net dry weight of the food it consumes, you can compare that to his weight, and it should be on average more than 1% (if you measure it over a long enough period of time.) Maintenance cost is that low or slightly lower for many larger juveniles / sub adults, although lower temperatures and a very inactive fish might cut it even lower. Things like growth and spawning will skyrocket the number, so 1% is assuming an aquarium fish that isn't breeding or growing.

Not eating from time to time is part of the 1%, as fish often can go from feast to famine.

Last edited:

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
my fire eels would eat everyday if I let them unless stressed but I usually fed every other day. So make sure they have hiding places and aren't being bullied. You might try other foods too like nightcrawlers or cut tilapia

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I also wonder if some fish eat to thrive while others eat only to survive?

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
My M. Dayi (black spot eel) does the same thing. He goes on hunger strikes for 7-10 days at a time and then goes back to eating worms like a mad man. Not sure if it's common feeding behavior for mastacembelus eels or not, but mine appears to have the same pattern as yours.
Almost exactly the same, interesting.

my fire eels would eat everyday if I let them unless stressed but I usually fed every other day. So make sure they have hiding places and aren't being bullied. You might try other foods too like nightcrawlers or cut tilapia
It is possible that it might be being bullied, I know my Giraffe Cat hates my eel and chases him when he gets the chance. He does have plenty of spots, but as he gets bigger, he has less and less space to 'hide'.

Unfortunately he refuses ALL other food other than worms. He just won't take it. He once took a mussel, but spat it right out. I suspect he took it from my hand instinctively, thinking it was a worm.

If it's active and growing, then my guess is it's not starving. A fire eel that size would I think weigh around 1 pound. If you can calculate the net dry weight of the food it consumes, you can compare that to his weight, and it should be on average more than 1% (if you measure it over a long enough period of time.) Maintenance cost is that low or slightly lower for many larger juveniles / sub adults, although lower temperatures and a very inactive fish might cut it even lower. Things like growth and spawning will skyrocket the number, so 1% is assuming an aquarium fish that isn't breeding or growing.

Not eating from time to time is part of the 1%, as fish often can go from feast to famine.
Thanks dude.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store