How to propegate swords/anubias? and how do I move rooted dwarf baby tears?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
As for swords/anubias, just wondering how to propegate them. I know most send off runners, but how often do they send them off, and how fast do the runners grow once you plant them? Any way to induce them to send off runners?
I plan on getting either anubias nana, nana petite, or coffefolia, as well as rosette swords.
I also may get dwarf baby tears, and I'm wondering how you'd collect portions of it when the carpet grows out of hand.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
As far as I know there’s not a way to induce runners.
Swords are root feeders so giving them some root tabs will help.
Anubias will grow in fairly low lighting but are water column feeders taking most of their nutrients from the water.
If you want to try to do this for profit I would look into Co2 injection as well.
It’s a little more to deal with but it will drastically increase growth, and with baby tears will almost be a necessity.
For splitting baby tears you can just pull some of the plants from the main matt of plants .
Separate them and the will continue to spread.
If, you can get them to grow properly.
They are not harder to grow per say but do require high lighting and Most of the time Co2

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
All the plants are slow growers. BIG-G has already mentioned some of the propagation. Anubias can be cut at the rhizome and make sure there are roots attached to the rhizome. Swords can be have the runners cut and plant the new growth with roots in the ground. Baby tears can be cut and replanted but make sure the roots are there.

Adding fertilizers will work for anubias. Root tabs will work for swords. For baby tears nutrients and co2 is needed with lot of lights.

Reactions: Lilyann

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
As for swords/anubias, just wondering how to propegate them. I know most send off runners, but how often do they send them off, and how fast do the runners grow once you plant them? Any way to induce them to send off runners?
I plan on getting either anubias nana, nana petite, or coffefolia, as well as rosette swords.
I also may get dwarf baby tears, and I'm wondering how you'd collect portions of it when the carpet grows out of hand.
If you can grow dwarf baby tears, you can grow anything

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store