Plant help

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Water tests would help: GH/KH primarily. There are many elements like Iron, for instance, that cannot be taken up by the plant if your GH is too low or high.
You are dosing flourish which is primarily micros, you need to add macros as well for more balanced fertilization of the plants: NPK and possibly iron as well. Flourish just contains micro's, for more balanced fertilization need to dose macro's as well NPK.
Stem plants like swords can get by with just heavy root feeding, but anubias needs water column dosing to stay healthy.

High nitrates can also contribute to algae as well as filters that are not routinely cleaned.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Good info above. Your tank is so lightly planted and too much nutrient. Until you find that balance point, I have a few suggestions to help with the algae:

1. Black out the tank for 2 to 3 days
2. 5% (1 part chlorine to 20 parts water) chlorine solution dip...where you have to remove the plant.
3. I personally spray my plants with hydrogen peroxide...either out of water or with a dropper in the water. No harm to livestock.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks for the advice. Tested water today. Nitrates were between 5-10. Did a larger water change, about 20%, to bring that down and will continue this.
Tank is in my office so will probably also turn of light timers over the weekend to see if this will help.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Think it is looking better. I also added a few catfish and they spend a good bit of time on the broad leaves I assume eating algae.

846F24FD-BC15-4EF1-B08F-4DD6EBD643C1.jpeg

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store