Centerpiece fish- Syn/Mel or Bifa?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I was considering a persei, love the look and reported temperament. I was concerned about max size though in an 18” wide tank
melanurum get just as big more or less.
So it's a tall 125 footprint, It's debatable for either fish for life. Personally. I think you'd probably be fine with a single specimen, at least for a long time. And should hopefully be able to keep some smaller tough fish as well.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I had both melanura sand Bifas. Bifas has gold and red. Melanura has orange upper half, and dark lower half and at time can turn pitch black. Bifas is more brightly colored and stunning to me. Here is a colony of Bifas.

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Beautiful Bifa Duanes!

My preferred Bifa in my decision process was the Rio Chacamax, however Jeff Rapps does not currently have them and does not know when he will again.

I will reassess when I am rdy to put in my vieja juv group.

I am still cycling (taking forever!) and I am going to put most of the smaller tank occupants in first, so maybe the Chacamax will be available by then.

I think at this point I will likely get syns from wet spot, and if Rapps has the Rio Chacamax bifa by then I may go that route.

Thanks all for the discussion!

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think just about any Vieja/Maskahero would be fine in that tank with no other Vieja. If you try to put several Vieja in there, the tank will be too small, and they'll feel cramped and start killing each other as they mature.

I've noticed that Vieja leave smaller fish alone. They don't have a big enough mouth to eat other fish unless they're really small, I suspect. Midas seem to not care about other smaller fish, too. Trimac's and Lyonsi relentlessly chase/eat smaller fish. My Trimac ate all but one

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
I think just about any Vieja/Maskahero would be fine in that tank with no other Vieja. If you try to put several Vieja in there, the tank will be too small, and they'll feel cramped and start killing each other as they mature.

I've noticed that Vieja leave smaller fish alone. They don't have a big enough mouth to eat other fish unless they're really small, I suspect. Midas seem to not care about other smaller fish, too. Trimac's and Lyonsi relentlessly chase/eat smaller fish. My Trimac ate all but one
Yeah I am just going to get a group in order to pick the best looking one. Obviously aggression will determine how soon that choice comes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store