Stocking suggestions for 12g nano

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
No, I don’t include the cleaners in with that.
You should still get the cleaning crew.
When I say inverts I meant the shrimps, anemone,corals and starfish.
The larger inverts tend to be more sensitive and definitely cost more.
I wouldn’t want to recommend you waste money on these animals until you are certain you can keep them properly.
For their sake and your wallets sake as well.
Thanks! How many hermits should I get to start?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
For 12 gallon tank. I would get 8 or 10.
Some recommend a blanket recommendation of one per gallon. I can’t say that’s always the answer.
But it gives you a rough estimate.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Oh, I forgot one more thing: I got an AI Prime HD for this tank. The live rock I bought has a tiny amount of coralline algae on it. Should I use the Prime light now to encourage it to grow or will that just increase algae? Should I use a dimmer light for now?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Oh, I forgot one more thing: I got an AI Prime HD for this tank. The live rock I bought has a tiny amount of coralline algae on it. Should I use the Prime light now to encourage it to grow or will that just increase algae? Should I use a dimmer light for now?
Light does effect coraline but calcium and alkalinity are equally important for good coral and coraline growth.
I would start out with dimmer lighting.
The reason, I believe that there will be time later to get good purple and pink coraline going.
You need to focus more right now on getting the tank setup and properly running with good water parameters and maintenance schedule.
Then in a few weeks after you have your tank running great and your fish settled in you can start adding other things and focus more on lighting, coraline, corals and whatever sensitive inverts you decide on.
The tank is going to go through several phases as you move forward. You will probably see some diatoms first ( that’s where everything is going to get brown algae growing on it) then as it passes you will see other algae start this is where you will need to keep up the maintenance and keep nutrient levels under control.
Soon these othe algea will settle in and you may see some spots here and there but this is why you added the cleaning crew they will help keep everything from getting covered.
At this point you should have a routine and things will be pretty stable you could start adding other animals.
If you start slow and ramp up to where you want to be you will enjoy your tank more then if you just try to throw everything in and continually fight problem after problem.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Light does effect coraline but calcium and alkalinity are equally important for good coral and coraline growth.
I would start out with dimmer lighting.
The reason, I believe that there will be time later to get good purple and pink coraline going.
You need to focus more right now on getting the tank setup and properly running with good water parameters and maintenance schedule.
Then in a few weeks after you have your tank running great and your fish settled in you can start adding other things and focus more on lighting, coraline, corals and whatever sensitive inverts you decide on.
The tank is going to go through several phases as you move forward. You will probably see some diatoms first ( that’s where everything is going to get brown algae growing on it) then as it passes you will see other algae start this is where you will need to keep up the maintenance and keep nutrient levels under control.
Soon these othe algea will settle in and you may see some spots here and there but this is why you added the cleaning crew they will help keep everything from getting covered.
At this point you should have a routine and things will be pretty stable you could start adding other animals.
If you start slow and ramp up to where you want to be you will enjoy your tank more then if you just try to throw everything in and continually fight problem after problem.
Thanks for your advice! Too bad my LFS doesn't have the crabs I want in stock... I have the tank on my desk and it's so depressing seeing it empty. =(

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Thanks for your advice! Too bad my LFS doesn't have the crabs I want in stock... I have the tank on my desk and it's so depressing seeing it empty. =(
You’re quite welcome. I know it’s tough waiting. Just try to remember in this hobby good things happen slowly only bad things happen fast.
I know that’s probably not going to help. Lol
but it does have some truth to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store