Red wiggler/fertilizer..... oops!!!

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
so I just recently tried to start a red wiggler culture with out doing much research on it yet. I bought some worms and a nice sized container for them to live in my basement. On my way home realized there wouldn’t be enough soil for them in the size of container I had for them. So I picked up some potting soil and added them all proud of my new project on start date.

As I showed my wife this, she mentioned that the little white balls are fertilizer. My question is, would that be harmful to the worms and more importantly my fish?

Does anyone have any experience on this? I picked up a few books on worm composting but it doesn’t seem to be very focused on nutrition of the creatures eating the worms.

Also is there any particular foods that would be more nutritious for my fish if they eat? I have some old fish food and even some nice new samples from my local club that I was thinking about adding to the vermiculture. Does this even matter? I’m really curious if anyone has any experience or knowledge about this.

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC
so I just recently tried to start a red wiggler culture with out doing much research on it yet. I bought some worms and a nice sized container for them to live in my basement. On my way home realized there wouldn’t be enough soil for them in the size of container I had for them. So I picked up some potting soil and added them all proud of my new project on start date.

As I showed my wife this, she mentioned that the little white balls are fertilizer. My question is, would that be harmful to the worms and more importantly my fish?

Does anyone have any experience on this? I picked up a few books on worm composting but it doesn’t seem to be very focused on nutrition of the creatures eating the worms.

Also is there any particular foods that would be more nutritious for my fish if they eat? I have some old fish food and even some nice new samples from my local club that I was thinking about adding to the vermiculture. Does this even matter? I’m really curious if anyone has any experience or knowledge about this.

I could be mistaken, but I think the little white balls are Perlite. It's volcanic glass that has been super heated until it pops. It's used to lighten the mix, keep it loose and aerated. Also helps with water retention. However, I don't know if the worms can eat it or if it could harm your fish if they could.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store