Help with cycle

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the others, it's time to slowly start adding fish, the swordtails sound like perfect start, and after your satisfied the swordtails are lines and parasite free, it will be time for the sajica.
Nitrate actually look high, so another water change to dilute them wouldn't;t be a bd idea.
I also think its a good idea to have an extra filter running in the tank to prevent needing to need to cycle the next tank. I always have extra media laying around in bags in sumps just for that purpose.
I am doing the same, just added 25 or so mosquito fish (Gambusia)and lots of plants, to my 180 gal yesterday ( a fish in cycle) and probably won't get to any cichlids for a while.
fullsizeoutput_b7a.jpeg

Dwl0222

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2018
Abington, Pa
I agree with the others, it's time to slowly start adding fish, the swordtails sound like perfect start, and after your satisfied the swordtails are lines and parasite free, it will be time for the sajica.
Nitrate actually look high, so another water change to dilute them wouldn't;t be a bd idea.
I also think its a good idea to have an extra filter running in the tank to prevent needing to need to cycle the next tank. I always have extra media laying around in bags in sumps just for that purpose.
I am doing the same, just added 25 or so mosquito fish (Gambusia)and lots of plants, to my 180 gal yesterday ( a fish in cycle) and probably won't get to any cichlids for a while.
View attachment 1353911
I did do a large water change, at least 70%....and I did get 5 green swordtails. They’ve been in the tank for about 8 hours now and seem to be doing great. Although one seems to be a bit sluggish....not too concerned yet though. Just glad to not be looking at an empty tank anymore haha. I completely forgot how much swordtails poop...geez haha

Reactions: tlindsey

Dwl0222

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2018
Abington, Pa
Actually what I may do is just buy a small filter like an AC20 etc...use the bio media that comes with it in the show tank filter, then if and when I need the QT tank I can just throw that in the AC20 and I’m ready to go
Question about this, what would I do with the bio media or sponge for a sponge filter after being used in the hospital tank? Is it no good at that point because of being used with meds to cure a sick fish? Or do you rinse it in tank water and reintroduce back to the main tank to continue keeping it laced with BB? I guess what I need to know is what’s the best method to make sure you’re always ready to throw together a hospital tank?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Question about this, what would I do with the bio media or sponge for a sponge filter after being used in the hospital tank? Is it no good at that point because of being used with meds to cure a sick fish? Or do you rinse it in tank water and reintroduce back to the main tank to continue keeping it laced with BB? I guess what I need to know is what’s the best method to make sure you’re always ready to throw together a hospital tank?
Hello; Most times anything used in a hospital tank including the tank get a soak with a Clorox solution. After that a good rinse. Then I put the equipment in a 5 gal bucket, fill it with water and add some PRIME or just fill the tank and add prime.
The sponge bases will not have any bb left of course. I then put them in the back of a filter in an established tank. I figure a month to get some bb colonies but usually have others in a filter all the time so others are ready.

Reactions: Dwl0222

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Jeff, any sponge used in a diseased hospital tank would need to be bleached, then thoroughly dried.(I'd probably beach it more than once)
That will make it useless as a cycle starter, but better to have to go thru producing a new cycle, than subjecting the display tank to disease.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store