200 gallon plywood build

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Coming together nicely. Ive changed the water out three times and added the substrate and filter. I plan to run "operation sacrificial lamb" this weekend. The only water test i have used is for ammonia/chlorine/chloramine which is reading negligible. If theres anything else sinister in the water my midevil will have to give me the signal for a hasty evac.
20190118_154447.jpg
Heres my simple yet potent filtration system: fluval sp4+aquatop 250 sponge. I may rig up something else in the future, external can perhaps, but for now this will be the sole filter.
20190118_154505.jpg

Reactions: BichirKing

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Got everyone moved in last night. They seem to love the new tank.
20190127_191235.jpg
Still have to finish the top, install the other light, sand out some scratches and clean up the glass but we're pretty much finished here. Turned out to be a fun project but my advice to others is to do this in the summertime unless you have a dedicated workshop to do all the work in. The winter weather really slowed me down.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Got some new lights for the tank with a valentines day petsmart gift card! Now 2/3 of my tanks are hooked up with fluval aquaskys. Im lovin the phone app control now i just wish i could run filter, air pump, heater, etc. Off of it too.
20190225_155754.jpg
Also installed some lifting brackets for the top. Works well for now but im prepared to come up with something else should the brackets begin to corrode.
20190217_175011.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
LEAK!!!!

Came back from a weekend trip to find the floor wet in front of the tank. Very slow leak, i estimate maybe a couple gallons total. The water level had not receded noticeably. Nevertheless i began recovery efforts immediately.

I set up my 95 gallon hex and split my fish between that and the 135. My chalceus went into shock briefly but otherwise no casualties during the crisis.

After i got the tank drained and outside, it was apparent the leak started at the back-bottom seam. There was a small void in the seam between the plywood there which i had filled in with fiberglass epoxy. I can't help but think if i wouldve done a full fiberglass mat treatment on the seams i would not have had this issue.

Good thing im close to having my 150 ready as im not sure how long the repairs will take or even what or if i should attempt them.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Sounds like a plan. Theres no paint on the flexseal it comes in that color. Its just odd that its leaking when i put 2 thick coats on anyway. Im thinking there has to be some bulge/flex thats opening up the seam.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
could you add some bracing in the area? I would also suspect the flex seal might be not the best choice but all is not lost. you could use west systems epoxy its expensive but worth it. we did a big tank with it about 5 yrs ago and its still holding up. you could use it and fiberglass mat to reinforce the corners. I'd do the fillet then add the mat once the fillet is cured. it helps getting the air bubbles out with having a nice sweeping transition.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
could you add some bracing in the area? I would also suspect the flex seal might be not the best choice but all is not lost. you could use west systems epoxy its expensive but worth it. we did a big tank with it about 5 yrs ago and its still holding up. you could use it and fiberglass mat to reinforce the corners. I'd do the fillet then add the mat once the fillet is cured. it helps getting the air bubbles out with having a nice sweeping transition.
Yeah i had figured to give the flexseal a try since no one else seemed to have experience with it. I dont think the epoxy is whats failing though, rather that the structure is flexing too much at the seam, which fiberglass mat wouldve helped. My reasoning was that since my build was on the smaller side for plywood tanks it would have sufficient rigidity without but i mustve been wrong.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
props to you for taking the project on! that's more than most can say. I wouldn't scrap it just keep at it the hard part is behind you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store