Green Terror Sexing

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Can anyone tell if this is a male or female? I wasn't sure if the female could develop a small nochal hump because it is not as colorful as males usually tend to be. The find are a little damaged from another cichlid I'm trying to re-home.

KIMG4366.jpg KIMG4369.jpg KIMG4365.jpg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It looks very washed out.
How long have you had it?
A close up side shot of the vent area *might* help.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
It looks very washed out.
How long have you had it?
A close up side shot of the vent area *might* help.
I've had it for at least a year. I actually ordered him off line at a fish place and it was sold as a Royal green terror so I was expecting a lot of color. It was fed multiple high dollar foods along with a variety of live foods so I'm not sure what happened. It eats straight from my hand but I don't know the sex or why it wasn't vibrant like others are. I will try to get a photo soon to post

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I've had it for at least a year. I actually ordered him off line at a fish place and it was sold as a Royal green terror so I was expecting a lot of color. It was fed multiple high dollar foods along with a variety of live foods so I'm not sure what happened. It eats straight from my hand but I don't know the sex or why it wasn't vibrant like others are. I will try to get a photo soon to post
Wow, really?
Maybe change the substrate? That might help it not be so washed out.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Wow, really?
Maybe change the substrate? That might help it not be so washed out.
Or darken the background.

My GT is on light substrate but the walls of her tank are dark because the tank sits in an alcove.

OP: yes, females can develop a hump although its less common. And usually more likely if there are other cichlids in the tank that she can assert dominance over. My girl doesn't have a hump because she only shares with an L397 pleco. But almost all of the girls in Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 harem tank had humps.

Does your GT have any tank mates? :)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
My guess would be female. As MrsE88 suggested, try to get a pic of her vent area. This is the most reliable way of sexing.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Or darken the background.

My GT is on light substrate but the walls of her tank are dark because the tank sits in an alcove.

OP: yes, females can develop a hump although its less common. And usually more likely if there are other cichlids in the tank that she can assert dominance over. My girl doesn't have a hump because she only shares with an L397 pleco. But almost all of the girls in Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 harem tank had humps.

Does your GT have any tank mates? :)
It sounds crazy but tank mates are an Arowana and vieja Synspilum. The cichlid recently started picking on the terror so I'm trying to re-home it. It's not too aggressive but has caused a bit of find damage. There were a few jewel cichlids on the aquarium at one point but they have their own aquarium now. Not to mention the vieja has started picking on the arowana as well so I'm afraid something bad might occur soon if it is not rehomed but the green terror will feed at the top with the Arowana who doesn't care.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree that it is probably the very light, bright substrate causing it to wash out in color.
It is also not unusual for Vieja (as they age) to get aggressive with everything, especially if the tank is under 300 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store