Netting out monster sized fish ?

srruf

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2017
i use a landing net that is usually used for fishing but obv make sure it hasnt been used for fishing because of diseases can get cheap ones off ebay

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
heres another good one for knives/loaches/catfish/etc as long as theyre not HUGE HUGE. take a 2liter bottle and cut the top off right where the neck meets the straight sides. then invert the neck and reattach it to the bottle with tape or staples. basically what you have done is made it so that the neck of the bottle no longer points out, but into the bottle. then drop some shrimp pellets, krill, etc inside the bottle and throw it in the tank overnight. next morning youve got a fish who cant figure out how to get out. i was going to try it for my clown loach but that damn thing is so friendly, i just pop the lid of the tank and dip my hand in and hell swim right into it thinking hes gonna get fed.
Can you show a pic of this?

slyme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2018
Indonesia
I just heard from my LFS in Indonesia, if they want to move or sell those arowanas, they will not using net, they will use big plastic, slowly put in water and put the arowana in that plastic, so the fin and the scales wont damaged.

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
How do you move your monster sized fishes? I honestly hate doing it
because theres the possibility of the fish thrashing around and doing damage to itself.

I use the largest net i could find for arowanas , stingrays and bigger catfish , i herd them in a large trash bag and lift the bag out slowly ( after removing excess water ) from the tank.

Any special, unusual technique that people out there use or want to share? Post them here !
When I returned/donated my Trinidad Pleco, I used a trout net. Even that was hard.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I just heard from my LFS in Indonesia, if they want to move or sell those arowanas, they will not using net, they will use big plastic, slowly put in water and put the arowana in that plastic, so the fin and the scales wont damaged.
That works well for smaller aros, not so much for large mature fish. Try lifting a large bag of water holding a 26" aro out of a tank. lol I once helped a friend move several adult Asian aros, the largest being a green that was 31 inches. We used a salmon net, that consisted of two long poles, approx. 3 ft long with netting running between the poles. We netted out approx. 6 aros that day, most being over 20" long with no damage to any of the fish.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
That works well for smaller aros, not so much for large mature fish. Try lifting a large bag of water holding a 26" aro out of a tank. lol I once helped a friend move several adult Asian aros, the largest being a green that was 31 inches. We used a salmon net, that consisted of two long poles, approx. 3 ft long with netting running between the poles. We netted out approx. 6 aros that day, most being over 20" long with no damage to any of the fish.
Will you please come over in a couple of weeks when my Blue Base's new tank arrives? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store