Aquatic plant, + collecting in Lake Gatun

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I first moved to the island of Taboga, I asked about any fresh water ares, and ws told there weren't any. I had recently heard about 2 permanent pools, and they didn't contain fish, but sometimes had fresh water shrimp.
Went today into the forest, about half way up the mountain to check them out.
IMG_2438.JPG
they were quite small, no shrimp, no fish, only thousands of tadpoles.
fullsizeoutput_c44.jpeg
you can see the frog spawn above, just left of center near the log
fullsizeoutput_c41.jpeg
The ponds were full of leaf litter, and the water was ttea colored.
Being quite anal I brought some testing reagents.
fullsizeoutput_c46.jpeg
Even with all the rotting vegetation nitrate was non-detectable.
fullsizeoutput_c3f.jpeg
and pH @ 6
fullsizeoutput_c3e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_c42.jpeg

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
What size are the ponds? True fishkeeper taking your testing kit.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The ponds were down in a steep arroyo,
probably carved out over time, during the rainy seasons, oval shaped about 10 ft long, maybe 6 to 8 ft wide at the widest points, and because it is now the dry season, very shallow, only a ft or 2 deep at the deepest areas, and in some places only a few inches.
I was told they were once used as bathing pools for the locals, before a deal plant was installed. One designated just for women, one for the men.
They pools were quite ripe, leaves were constantly dropping in from the canopy, so I was surprised at the lack of nitrate under those conditions. I was hoping there'd be killi-fish that may go un-noticed by non-fish folk, but no such luck.
fullsizeoutput_c40.jpeg
The terrain was a bit treacherous for an old scrape like me, but I got away without even so much as a flesh wound.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Surprised there is no aquatic life in there other then the tadpoles, like you I would have thought there would be killfish, shrimps in it. No injuries is always a bonus.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
There were also dragonfly larvae, water beetles and snails along with the tadpoles. I believe being this far out in the Pacific probably stopped fresh water species from coming here. The toads, frogs, and reptiles, and mammals are often seen after storms riding on logs,
The island is inhabited by skinks, iguanas , coral snakes, and Emerald boas. I'm told there are tiny possums called neques, I've seen vampire and other bats, and there are small anteaters, but no mammals of any substantial size. A friend from the Netherlands was attacked by one of the anteaters one night in his yard, and they have been known to seriously tear up the local dogs.
There may have been sloths at one time, but I've never seen one.
No monkeys.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Been working on getting reasonable shots of the mosquito fish, to see enough distinguishing characteristics to help determine species.
Making slow process, took about 50 shots this morning, and ended uppitiest with these 3.
fullsizeoutput_c92.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_c8f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_c90.jpeg
The triangular dark blotch below the eye, and lunar row of dots on the caudal appears to suggest Gambusia nicaraguensis

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Been working on getting reasonable shots of the mosquito fish, to see enough distinguishing characteristics to help determine species.
Making slow process, took about 50 shots this morning, and ended uppitiest with these 3.
View attachment 1356871
View attachment 1356872
View attachment 1356873
The triangular dark blotch below the eye, and lunar row of dots on the caudal appears to suggest Gambusia nicaraguensis
duanes duanes , could they be gambusia affinis?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
duanes duanes , could they be gambusia affinis?
They could be affines, I suppose if your a lumper, then nicaraguense is simply a subspecies, or location variant of affines.
I'm using the book "Freshwater Fishes of Costa Rica" by William Bussing as my field guide (its geographic span covers most fishes of Central America, not only CR), Gunther used the name G. nicaraguense in the original description way back in 1866, and described their range from Ambergris Cay in Belize, to Lake Gatun here in Panama. The books first printing was 1987, so long before the use of DNA sequencing, and being quite old, many of the species listed now have redescribed genus names.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store