Schooling fish suggestions

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
If you are going for something a bit larger than the average tetra, but not as big as SD, i would look for some redfin argenteus ie tetragonopterus argenteus or sometimes sold as tetragonopterus chalceus. Get to about 4" long, tall bodied, very active and tight schooling. Shiny silver with red fins.

They are not aggressive but hold their own quite well, and will swarm an injured fish or pick a carcass clean. Theyre like a pack of mini piranhas. Theyre in the middle of the following pic.

20181027_055353.jpg

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
If you are going for something a bit larger than the average tetra, but not as big as SD, i would look for some redfin argenteus ie tetragonopterus argenteus or sometimes sold as tetragonopterus chalceus.

View attachment 1356379
Those are pretty sweet! Their body shape looks similar to my Brachychalcinus Orbicularis, more commonly known as Discus Tetras. I'll try to post a picture of them later tonight.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Those are pretty sweet! Their body shape looks similar to my Brachychalcinus Orbicularis, more commonly known as Discus Tetras. I'll try to post a picture of them later tonight.
Orbicularis are a neat fish for sure. Same humpback profile type of tetra. I considered buying some from rapps a bit ago but the price intimidated me i think.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
any quality flurescent would do I have the fluval for planted tanks but this is a pricey light
Thank you. I have expensive plant lights on my tank because my plan was a heavily planted tank but the Severums took care of that project really fast. They picked every plant I had in the tank apart. Lol needless to say I don’t have a planted tank anymore.
If you are going for something a bit larger than the average tetra, but not as big as SD, i would look for some redfin argenteus ie tetragonopterus argenteus or sometimes sold as tetragonopterus chalceus. Get to about 4" long, tall bodied, very active and tight schooling. Shiny silver with red fins.

They are not aggressive but hold their own quite well, and will swarm an injured fish or pick a carcass clean. Theyre like a pack of mini piranhas. Theyre in the middle of the following pic.

View attachment 1356379
Nice tank!! I will look into these but when you say swarm an injured fish do you mean one that pretty much has gaping wounds or is dying? When you said this all I can think about is exodons! Hahaha

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I just did a quick search and also found Pseudochalceus kyburzi which appears to be somewhat rare.
Thank you very much. I ask the colors because I just can’t trust photos on line. Would rather get opinions on certain fish then research.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
If you don't mind a larger schooler i love love love my Dennison Barbs. Beautiful fish and peaceful. They get large though, about 6" max but you have the room in a 210 gallon.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
If you don't mind a larger schooler i love love love my Dennison Barbs. Beautiful fish and peaceful. They get large though, about 6" max but you have the room in a 210 gallon.
Will I be overstocked with adding them to my current stock? Typical schooling number of 6+?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store