Yellow Lab parents

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
Hey folks,
I got a couple yellow labs from a friend. They are good size now and suddenly I have babies. :WHOA:
My question is this.....could this be a male with no black? The babies only look about 7-8 days along so that would mean it almost has to be, but you experts tell me. She dropped the eggs so I picked up what I could and they are in a tumbler now. I took these two because it emptied her tank, but I am thrilled to get babies, don't get me wrong. I just expected to see black on a male. I do see an egg spot, but his eye/head shape is different from the female. (I know that isn't always dependable ) I managed to save around 25 babies, so maybe I will get better marked males.

Last edited:
Reactions: YankeeJack

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yep, what James said. I'm afraid what you have are hybrids, not a pure strain of Labidochromis caeruleus.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
ok, thanks. Do you think that is a male hybrid then?? My friend keeps all her growouts together, could this female have been bred by a true Lab? Do the fry look right so far? I have checked all over youtube for vids and they do look good. The female here does have some black on her dorsal. I was thinking I might keep back some of my brood to put her with to make a second harem. Or should I just place them elsewhere and start from scratch? Thx!

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The problem with hybrids is they can come out looking just like one of the parents, a mix of both or completely different.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Personally I would not breed them, and would cull all of the fry.

Reactions: deeda

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
What I meant was.....I have a brood of pure Labs right now as well as these. I could keep some of them and put her with them and then just put him in my male only tank. The questionable brood will be given to friends or traded back to the LFS as hybrids if they want them.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
What I meant was.....I have a brood of pure Labs right now as well as these. I could keep some of them and put her with them and then just put him in my male only tank. The questionable brood will be given to friends or traded back to the LFS as hybrids if they want them.
I would just keep them or cull them.
This is how the hobby gets flooded with fish that no one knows what they are.
You’re posting because you don’t know what these fishes genetics are and people are basically guessing. Then you stated you’re going to trade back to LFS as hybrids for them to sell to someone else that will have no clue what these are.
This is not a personal attack against you, because I know this goes on all the time.

Reactions: RD. and deeda

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
I understand. My LFS has a tank specifically for these type of fish that they label correctly and sell cheap for people that want "Cichlids" but don't want to, or can't pay the prices of pure strains. It's a locally owned, single store, that the owner is a cichlid breeder herself. I am not trying to cheat anyone, or take advantage. I also don't plan to flood anything with bad fish. This was a surprise batch. I have my pure Labs, that I bought online well separated to ensure they stay pure. I have worked too hard to get them and build them up to mess them up. Thanks for the opinion. I will work it out.

Reactions: BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store