Finally wild caught cichlids in Panama

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've working on setting up a collecting trip, without much luck lately.
But today I showed up at the dock for my normal grocery shop, and my usual cab driver Julio said, you've got to change your schedule, my friend Jose went to the Rio San Martin and has a bucket of fish here. It was a half full 5 gallon bucket with a battery operated air pump chugging away
I reached in a pulled out a maybe ...4" Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus, and asked what is friended need, Julio said $50 for the work, there appeared to be at least another half dozen fish in the bucket, he also gave me another gallon of San Matin river water, just in case.
Not quite the "collecting experience I wanted, but interesting no less.
After the ferry ride back to the island, and 10 minute walk to my house, I slowly poured a couple gallons from my waiting tank into the bucket to acclimate the fish and started netting them out.
1st the 4" Andinoacara, probably male.
IMG_2994.JPG
next, netted out 2 tetras which look to me like a species of Roeboides
IMG_2969.JPG
a live bearer, maybe a molly
fullsizeoutput_cfb.jpeg
a shrimp, which I haven't seen since it was dropped in the tank
fullsizeoutput_cf5.jpeg
and at least 6 more Andinoacara, another male, and others that may be female.
fullsizeoutput_cfe.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d01.jpeg

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
That’s awesome Duane, that was the first cichlid I ever collected/saw, so you got a tank setup with them now? What other stuff is around you? What about the beautiful tuyrense? Haha actually I would love to get them...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After adding the fish, I decided to check a couple parameters from the extra gallon on San Martin river water.
pH was approx 7.6 (although since I don't know how long the water sat, it could have easily changed.
IMG_2932.JPG
Nitrate from the river water was undetectable.
fullsizeoutput_cf4.jpeg
The San Martin river is east and slightly north of Panama City
Images for San Martin River Panama
Since Jose seemed very accommodating, I told him I was also looking for Istmheros tuyrense, and gave him printouts of what they look like. Keeping my fingers crossed, in the parlance of our time.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Congrats on finally getting fish :). I kinda like the tetra, I bet it would look nice if you had a large school and they didn't become cichlid lunch.

Reactions: tlindsey

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Very cool, Duane.

I had some coeruleopuntatus that were imported several years ago. They were fine together as youngsters, but as they got older, the dominant male got rough on tank mates, eventually killing all the other fish. I probably didn't have them in a big enough tank, so I'll take the blame. How big a tank do you a have for them?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store