RTC with swim bladder

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi please can someone help us?

We’ve got a RTC that’s a rescue, we’ve had him nearly a year now. He was kept in a really small tank and his growth was stunted so we don’t know how old he is. He’s grown about 1” a month with us though and is now about 2ft 6”. He’s been healthy, active, no signs of infection, fed a balanced diet, water parameters are all fine.

He had his weekly waterchange on Friday and then last night we found him floating on his side. We changed the water again in case there was something in it that wasn’t showing on tests. I lost all my pond fish last week after a water change (had them years and was gutted so it is possible). We use drinking water to change the tanks and seachem prime.

He settled on the bottom of his tank after the water change and was level again. An hour later he was back on his side. Same thing today. Today the water tested as high for ammonia (possibly all these water changes?) so we’ve done a 70% water change again. I’ve ordered purigen to take the ammonia out.

I’ve found a local fish vet but tbh he’s renowned for billing you 10x what is actually needed. Our bearded dragon was ill years ago and he charged £300 to get him better. I was later told by the reptile shop they could have wormed him for £6 as that was all the vet actually did . I’m happy paying a vet but I don’t want them to put him through unnecessary treatments as he won’t make it. If I at least know what he needs I can argue his case.

Please can anyone advise us? We really don’t want to loose him.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would keep up the water changes with seachem prime. Can add a little Epsom salt 1 tbsp per 5g. Check ur water daily to twice a day to make sure the ammonia comes down. Hold feedings for now.

Drinking water isn’t distilled is it?

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks for the reply. RE drinking water it’s tapwater and safe for human consumption but obviously still need to dechlorinate for the fish. Can you advise if any medications will help him please? Do you think the vet is best way to go? I’m concerned the 45min drive may kill him.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the reply. RE drinking water it’s tapwater and safe for human consumption but obviously still need to dechlorinate for the fish. Can you advise if any medications will help him please? Do you think the vet is best way to go? I’m concerned the 45min drive may kill him.
Vet is always a better option. Treat the underlying condition if not better with clean water and Epsom salt then consider kanamycin. Would wait as abx can cause more probs in stressed fish.

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks. I’ll try everything else first. Just ordered a extra filter with uv and purigen etc.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My birchir can’t seem to get off the bottom of my tank but is still feeding?? Any ideas??
Hard to say. Would create ur own thread and post water and pics. Also don’t jump another’s thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store