Can I do it? I really think I can!

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Never built a tank but I am a mechanical engineer and machinist.

I found a guy/shop who has high end CNC equipment that specializing in acrylic. He can cut everything and prep it all so that it's ready to assemble in my new home. He is not a tank builder though.

He will all supply commercial grade bonding material he calls methylene chloride.

The tank I want to build is 8x2x2. You folks think this is something I can do? As far as my research goes the prep and cutting is the most difficult part of the build.

Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Never built a tank but I am a mechanical engineer and machinist.

I found a guy/shop who has high end CNC equipment that specializing in acrylic. He can cut everything and prep it all so that it's ready to assemble in my new home. He is not a tank builder though.

He will all supply commercial grade bonding material he calls methylene chloride.

The tank I want to build is 8x2x2. You folks think this is something I can do? As far as my research goes the prep and cutting is the most difficult part of the build.

I think you can just take your time and do thourough research on the build.

Reactions: MrsE88

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
8 by 2 by 2 sounds like a standard 240 gallon. in my area a 240 gallon is the biggest footprint that most stores either carry or can order. I would do some pricing homework and see if its worth the effort to build it.....it might be cheaper to just order a premade one.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’m sure you can. Like tlindsey tlindsey said, just do plenty of reading on it. Though I’m sure you’ve already been doing a lot of that.

Going off what the others are saying... you’ll never regret going bigger!

Reactions: tlindsey

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
With access to a good cnc router I would consider rabiting the edges to lock the panels in place during assembly and also give you a bit of extra bonding surface area.

I think it is very likely that you will find a pre-built aquarium cheaper than building one.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Like others have said, unless you get some super deal on the materials or you go huge you can probably buy one thats already made for the same or less. I think acrylic sheets come in a typical size of 8x4. So you could easily go 8×4×2 to get that larger size and make it worth while. I think going longer then 8 is more custom sizing and costs more for the longer sheets.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I think you can absolutely do it. Just take your time, learn the process and prep appropriately and you should be fine. Many people on here build their own tanks and it sounds like you have a background that will help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store