What am I working with here folks

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA

Just bought this new tank. Lfs went out of business so I came through and was trying to buy decent sized breeder tank. There were 2 of these tanks, however, one did not have any dividers. That one got sold, so the one left was this one has 2 glass dividers. I've looked it up and it seems possible to remove the 2 glass dividers. Comes with a chiller (not going to be used, but interesting) and a decent sump. Excuse the goldfish, they said they are moving all their fish and in a couple days i'll be able to come through and take this away.

Reactions: BichirKing

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Nice find. What are you going to keep in it?
If the chiller isn’t going to used you could sell it separately. I’m sure you can find a reefer in the area that may want it.

Reactions: tlindsey and J. H.

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
So I will try to share what i'm trying to do, keep in mind this might be lengthy.

Here is the same tank I am getting, however, without the dividers and a divided section for the inflow. I would like to make my tank look exactly like this one.

Here is the tank that I will be getting. Notice the black covering on the left, there is a glass divider used to hold the oddly placed intake. In the main part of the aquarium, 2 dividers are used to make 3 different sections. A picture of that is below

And here is a mock up

I don't think I will have an issue with removing the 2 glass dividers. However, I am a bit worried about that glass divider for the inflow. Would it be better to keep that? I would much rather have tank space. So theoretically I should be able to remove it and make it look just like the other tank as well?
Here is a video of the intake divider. I was thinking of removing the glass divider then adding a cap to the PVC pipe and poke some holes through it so it can take in water.

Now, I am also interested in removing this:

It is a black covering. I believe it is removable but it appears siliconed to the glass tank. My biggest concern is,

Can I remove the silicone from the glass without scratching the glass? Every video i've seen on removing silicone applied objects from glass involved a razorblade. Doesn't that risk scratching the tank? What's the safest way to avoid this if possible.

Thanks. I will be covering this as I go. One of my first interesting projects.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Keep lobsters in it, fresh lobster anytime. Looks just like a commercial lobster tank with some dividers installed.

I used to service them for some local grocery stores.

Reactions: coolcomfort

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed on the sharp razor blade or a knife with a thin sharp blade....with those,any scratches should be minimal and barely noticeable.

Reactions: coolcomfort

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You could just leave the front to back divide and continue to use it as an over flow.
It would be a little more work but you can also take it out and install a smaller one. Just square it off around the pipe it would keep the overflow intact and open up the front of the tank.
The other option is to take it out as you suggest but be aware if you do not rework the top of the intake to some kind of Durso or something similar you’re going to hear a constant sucking noise.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I use razor blades on my glass all the time. If you keep the blade edge level with the glass you want scratch it.

I’d either lever the overflow area alone, or do what BIG-G BIG-G suggested and square it off with a smaller one.

Reactions: aae0130

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
You could just leave the front to back divide and continue to use it as an over flow.
It would be a little more work but you can also take it out and install a smaller one. Just square it off around the pipe it would keep the overflow intact and open up the front of the tank.
The other option is to take it out as you suggest but be aware if you do not rework the top of the intake to some kind of Durso or something similar you’re going to hear a constant sucking noise.
I would like to extend the glass tank to reach it's full size. However, I will be worried about the noise.

Is this what you refer to as a durso?
I am willing to do this, but is there a way I can just use a normal PVC pipe and have the end of it appear like this:

I'm being a little picky but I'd like do it this for simplicity reasons.

Keep lobsters in it, fresh lobster anytime. Looks just like a commercial lobster tank with some dividers installed.

I used to service them for some local grocery stores.
Now that I think about it, I bet that is the reason there's a chiller. What surprises me is that the other tank didn't have a chiller, yet they are both an identical tank.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would like to extend the glass tank to reach it's full size. However, I will be worried about the noise.

Is this what you refer to as a durso?
I am willing to do this, but is there a way I can just use a normal PVC pipe and have the end of it appear like this:

I'm being a little picky but I'd like do it this for simplicity reasons.

Now that I think about it, I bet that is the reason there's a chiller. What surprises me is that the other tank didn't have a chiller, yet they are both an identical tank.
The durso setup will be a quieter option. The open drain with strainer like you pictured can be loud--gurgling, bubbling, whistling noises even.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store