What to do with sump!

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
So I just plumbed a bare 75 gallon to my sump. I’m brain storming ideas on what to do with it! Tanks 500gallons Current stock are 20”plus ray 22”plus jardini 24” clown knife fish and a small midevil who’s being rehomed soon. I plan on drilling and running the pump externally so it’ll be the whole 75 free water depth is about 13”. Would a Refugium do much in the way of nitrate reduction at that size? Or am I better going the k1 route? I just want to make the most use of the space.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
If your current filtration is doing the job with keeping your ammonia and nitite at 0 IMO you dont need to add k1 unless you plan on stocking heavier or feeding heaviier.....but if your nitrates are an issue a 75 gallon planted refugium done right can definitely make a difference just make sure you choose the right tropical plants that can thrive with the lighting conditions and flow rate in the 75 gallon.

Reactions: Oughtsix

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Fill the 75g with Pothos plants. This is the most efficient way I know to reduce nitrates other than water changes.

Like DrunkenMunkey said if you don't have issues with Ammonia or Nitrites adding more biological filtration of any kind is pointless. Pothos plants will feed on the nitrates in your water and improve the water quality for you rays. They are not an alternative to water changes... you will still need to do your regular water changes.

Reactions: DRUKENMUNKY

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
IME (includes many rays, arms and large aro bioloads), a refugium or pothos won’t make a dent. Nor will any conventional plant filtration. There is a point of diminishing returns with each of those approaches and unfortunately you are already past it with the current stock (sounds like an awesome tank BTW). Once a ray is introduced the concept crumbles.

The amount of plants it would take to make a dent in nitrate reduction (technically an ammonia reduction by skipping the nitrification cycle) would be another tank of its size full of plants that are grow above the water surface or larger depending on the selection of flora. More bio or mech is always much more valuable for the real estate.

If after the cool factor, pothos and other plants are a ton of fun and so long as non toxic fauna is not chosen, it certainly cannot hurt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store