Random shrimp like creatures found in the detritus of freshwater sump

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
I found a whole colony of TINY shrimp like creatures with decently large antenai relative to body size. They are like a white color and hide in the detritus. How could they get here with no introduction of plants, or shrimp, or sand, or rocks? too small to take a pic. FRESHWATER tank.... tannin water. Thanks I need major help on IDing, have noticed em for past few weeks

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
Most small fish will eat copepods, they are great food for fry, and they help break down chunks of detritus in filters that can clog them. Like bacteria, they seem to be ubiquitous, just appearing whenever there is water.
Yep there are a tonne of them, literally 1/50th or smaller of a mm, floating in the water surface or bouncing off the glass. Wish there were more lol. Hope it means my tank is healthy. I used a turkey baster to get some of the larger ones out of the sump, THE MOMENT a tetra sees it, consider it a snack. its bigger then there mouths but only slightly, rarely do they reach the bottom, which i see a female apisto eat the moment she seen it, I NEVER seen they eat so crazily for stuff like this. Will see if i can culture a good population in the sump. I. WANT. MORE.

BTW my female apistos have literally doubled in size and its only been like 2 months

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yep there are a tonne of them, literally 1/50th or smaller of a mm, floating in the water surface or bouncing off the glass. Wish there were more lol. Hope it means my tank is healthy. I used a turkey baster to get some of the larger ones out of the sump, THE MOMENT a tetra sees it, consider it a snack. its bigger then there mouths but only slightly, rarely do they reach the bottom, which i see a female apisto eat the moment she seen it, I NEVER seen they eat so crazily for stuff like this. Will see if i can culture a good population in the sump. I. WANT. MORE.

BTW my female apistos have literally doubled in size and its only been like 2 months
Easy to culture in tubs and barrels, throw in some water,leaves and maybe guppy moss

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store