Are red belly piranhas boring?

Robbie Maxwell

Feeder Fish
Feb 11, 2019
Hi im looking into keeping red belly piranhas and would like to know if they are really as boring as people make them out to be. Do they get more confident as they get bigger because from what ive read some people say they do and others say they hide all the time.
Thanks in advance.
Robbie

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
I have never owned them, but I have heard that if you keep them with aggressive/food oriented fish they will stay bolder. I remember seeing a guy who kept some with tiger barbs and they would go in a frenzy over food. I haven't seen him in a long time otherwise I'd get information from him. But if you want some aggressive crazy food frenzy fish look into Exodons(they're like the piranha 2.0 but fun sized) A school of those eating prawn or something else meaty is cooler than piranhas eating in my opinion
Here's a link to a YouTube video of an exodon feed if you're interested

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
In my experience, very skittish...need to be kept in a fairly decent sized school...and only really "show off " during feeding time, they also love to hide and kinda shy away from the open areas especially if it's well lit...they get huge so that's also something to keep in mind...they're not as savage and wild as most think...hope it helps

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In my experience, very skittish...need to be kept in a fairly decent sized school...and only really "show off " during feeding time, they also love to hide and kinda shy away from the open areas especially if it's well lit...they get huge so that's also something to keep in mind...they're not as savage and wild as most think...hope it helps

^
This

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Once upon a time a buddy of mine bought six piranha. As they grew they also diminished in number, down to two at about six inches. He named those two Charlie (for Manson) and Sam for the Son of Sam. They continued to grow and lived together for a year or more. Then, one day, Charlie decided to eat Sam.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I used to have 8 RBP in 240 gal (6ft x 3ft tank), which I grew from inch-lings to mature adults. They didn't swim much, just kind of hovered in the middle of the tank. When I walked in the room they would all "twitch" a little and come forward for food. It was very entertaining to watch their feeding habits.
I had them with an Oscar, Polleni, Jaguar cichlid, convicts and some clown loaches. The RBP were added in last so they grew up with the all my fish. No one messed with them, so they didn't mess with anyone. Until one day the Jag started getting aggressive and lost his entire bottom jaw trying to lip lock with one.

I had a friend who used to keep Pangasius, one day his tank broke and no one had a big enough tank to hold them expect me. I warned him that although they are peaceful with my other fish, they may not be to new comers whom they didn't grow up with.
so I rearranged the tank, turned off the lights (this was at night so the room was dark) and introduced the two pangasius. They seemed fine and not so interested, so I went to put the buckets outside, came back inside and the pangasius were gone. Literally stripped to the bone. There was only a head of one left, and the other had a head and half a spine which was twitching. My Oscar, polleni, convicts and loaches were all huddled, squished in one corner together, whilst the RBP had their usual, casual, chilled position. Hovering in the middle of the tank.

Robbie Maxwell

Feeder Fish
Feb 11, 2019
Thanks for the replies. Exodons are amazing but I really like the overall look of rbp’s. Im gonna try find someone locally who has them and see can i have a look at their set up and make my judgement to weather or not to get them. Would you say they are rewarding overall to keep? I have a 120 gallon so was thinking of a school of 4-6?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I agree, it depends on you. They have never tempted me. I was a CA cichlid fanatic back in the day. I mostly keep barbs now because I got tired of the murder with cichlids (I still have a few). Keeping any piranha is risky for all but the meanest of the lot. I even know a store owner who payed for his inattention while cleaning a tank with a finger tip. No thanks!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store