Show your current reps

blinkdagger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2019
This is Whitey, one of my three Chinese pond turtles; he also happens to be the most outgoing/badass and has a total of five jailbreaks to his name just this season. The other two are Brownie and Blacky and spend most of their time on the tank bottom getting harassed by the fish.
IMG_20190211_232141.jpg

Brothers from different mothers (and fathers for that matter), Fatty and Moldy. Because one's fat and the other one's shell looks like it's got some kind of fungus but hasn't responded to treatment. Technically both mauremys muticas but I think Fatty (left) is a southern morph while Moldy (right) seems to be more like a northern morph crossed with a Vietnamese Pond. Moldy's had a pretty **** first winter; on top of the mold (maybe), he managed to get a skin infection that rotted off all his foreclaws and the tip of his tail. A week in quarantine did for his headstripes and forelimb coloration as well, but now everything's coming back together.
IMG_20190211_232853.jpg

Can anyone ID the bugs on the water hyacinth?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
This is Whitey, one of my three Chinese pond turtles; he also happens to be the most outgoing/badass and has a total of five jailbreaks to his name just this season. The other two are Brownie and Blacky and spend most of their time on the tank bottom getting harassed by the fish.
View attachment 1359797

Brothers from different mothers (and fathers for that matter), Fatty and Moldy. Because one's fat and the other one's shell looks like it's got some kind of fungus but hasn't responded to treatment. Technically both mauremys muticas but I think Fatty (left) is a southern morph while Moldy (right) seems to be more like a northern morph crossed with a Vietnamese Pond. Moldy's had a pretty **** first winter; on top of the mold (maybe), he managed to get a skin infection that rotted off all his foreclaws and the tip of his tail. A week in quarantine did for his headstripes and forelimb coloration as well, but now everything's coming back together.
View attachment 1359798

Can anyone ID the bugs on the water hyacinth?
Can you get a close picture of the bugs? I might be able to help. I had a bug issue with mine the last year I had them.

Sorry to hear you had to deal with health issues. That sucks:( I had to pass on a beautiful map because I wasn’t prepared to deal with fungus and shell rot right off the batt.

Your turtles are all adorable btw:)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I've been placing the hyacinth upside down in the water hoping for the fish to get at the bugs but there's just too many it seems.
View attachment 1360075
Ok. I kinda suspected they would be aphids. These guys are nasty.
If it’s winter where you are you will want to use a bucket or storage bin to place the plants in. If you have a removable shower head with high pressure you can use that to spray the bugs off. And then dump the water with bugs in it outside.
If it’s warm outside just use a garden hose and keep the mess and bugs out there.

I know soap and water can be used to spray on plants with aphids, but I would not do that with aquatic plants.
Washing them off is the only thing I know to do. And it has to be done a couple times a day.

Outside my plants were saved when the ladybugs showed up. They eat aphids.

blinkdagger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2019
Ok. I kinda suspected they would be aphids. These guys are nasty.
If it’s winter where you are you will want to use a bucket or storage bin to place the plants in. If you have a removable shower head with high pressure you can use that to spray the bugs off. And then dump the water with bugs in it outside.
If it’s warm outside just use a garden hose and keep the mess and bugs out there.

I know soap and water can be used to spray on plants with aphids, but I would not do that with aquatic plants.
Washing them off is the only thing I know to do. And it has to be done a couple times a day.

Outside my plants were saved when the ladybugs showed up. They eat aphids.
Will do, thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store