Ctenopoma acutirostre tankmate

Satsujin

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2019
Hey guys
So I have a Ctenopoma has the title says and I'm looking for what possible tankmates I could but with it that will stay in the middle to top of the aquarium. The tank is a 40g breeder. Also have a senegal bichir for bottom dweller. I am thinking maybe platies or swordtails so they can also act as a food source but that is my very last choice

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys
So I have a Ctenopoma has the title says and I'm looking for what possible tankmates I could but with it that will stay in the middle to top of the aquarium. The tank is a 40g breeder. Also have a senegal bichir for bottom dweller. I am thinking maybe platies or swordtails so they can also act as a food source but that is my very last choice

Welcome aboard

The Platies and Swordtails will probably last short term. An fully grown Ctenopoma has a very large mouth.

Reactions: kno4te and Satsujin

Satsujin

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2019
Welcome aboard

The Platies and Swordtails will probably last short term. An fully grown Ctenopoma has a very large mouth.
Thank you, and yeah that is why it is my last choice because even tho mine is only 2.5" inches rn, it already has a huge mouth. I wouldn't be surprise if, once it is full grown, it could swallow an adult swordtail in one gulp

Reactions: tlindsey

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Congo tetra. How big is the Cteno? I grew mine out with Congo tetras and they did great together. The congos top out at about 5".

Satsujin

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2019
That was actually exactly what I had in mind. Moonlight and snakeskin gouramis would work too. If you can get a snakeskin that would be the best since it will get a little larger than the ctenopoma (8 inches) but they are incredibly peaceful.
Cool I'll see if I can find some in the few time when I can actually go to a big fish store, cuz my one and only lfs is saltwater lol

Congo tetra. How big is the Cteno? I grew mine out with Congo tetras and they did great together. The congos top out at about 5".
Right now it is about 2.5 inches? I might try that since they are a bit more readily available.

Also as an update, I got a denison barb, and an asian bumblebee cat. I'm thinking maybe adding more denison barbs when I go back to the big fish store, they have huge one, like 4 inches, for $12, which is whereas a 2 inch denison barb , which from my few searches, looks to be $10-$20 each

Last edited:

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I currently have a ctenopoma in with Dennison Barbs in my 135 and they're fine together. I would definitely add more Dennisons if you like them as they are best in groups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store