How to get gar off of live food

shazam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
Hi can anyone help me I got my gar a month ago but can’t get it to eat pellets or shrimp I’ve kept him isolated and tried starving him for a week but still won’t eat.its a long nose gar 6” long.Pls help

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Wait till he grows a bit bigger first, a 6 inches he really isn't big enough to do a starvation treatment, for now try to hand or tong feed them, so they associate you with food.

Reactions: shazam and tlindsey

E_polypterus

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hi can anyone help me I got my gar a month ago but can’t get it to eat pellets or shrimp I’ve kept him isolated and tried starving him for a week but still won’t eat.its a long nose gar 6” long.Pls help
Did you try the method I told you before?

Reactions: shazam

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
For gar I’ve owned, I would tong feed even live feeders holding them by the tail. Then switch the live feeders to thawed silver side minnow. Then to cut tilapia and shrimp.
I never was able to get them on pellets but I really didn’t try once I got them on to tilapia

shazam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
after a month or so of trying everything I could think of, i finally got my gar to eat cut shrimp.
I had to separate him and starve him and tie the food to a string and make it look like it was alive fr my gar to finally EAT. Tnx fr all the help and advice

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store