Need to replace FX4 hose with non ribbed hose, which one?

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
I have always loved Fluval canisters and have been using them for many years. I have no idea what knucklehead decided to use such a heavy ribbed hose on the FX series but I am done with them. I am having to take the hoses completely off the tank to properly clean them far to often, and they can hold a bunch of crap inside this ribbed hose. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way. If you have changed to a smooth walled hose what size and what type did you use? I can see a clear hose having it's benefits but a black hose in the tank would look much better with my tanks having black backs. Thanks for your replies.
Later
NCH

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
I reckon I'm the only one who isn't a fan of the ribbed hose? I am going to order some black smooth walled tubing like the Eheim filters used but in black. I feel this will go a long way in limiting how much crap that can be snagged in the water flow.
Later
NCH

Reactions: Hank82

Sub-Mariner

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
Florida
I used 1" i.d. clear vinyl hose on my FX5s. I made a intake and spraybar out of black 3/4" pvc. The 1" hose when heated up dipped in hot water fits snuggly around the pvc.

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
I can see how the clear hose would have some advantages but I think I am going to go with black. I actually like the intake on the FX filters but not the returns. Even SunSun gives you both a spray bar and a nozzle return, but the FX doesn't provide the option of a spray bar. Good thing they are easy to make. I like to drill holes in the pvc pipe so that when the spray bar is attached to the suction cup holders I have some holes directing water to the surface, some downward and some straight out from the bar. This also provides water movement in many directions and helps to keep particles suspended in the water longer.
Later
NCH

Sub-Mariner

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
Florida
I personally hated the FX pieces that held the tubing over the tank edge. That's why I use 90deg elbows. No stress on any tubing.

Even on my 2262 I used PVC elbows for over the tank. I also used the FX intake strainer.

As far as clear or black I didn't care because no light hits the tubing anyway. If you have light that hits it black will work. If not save your money, 1" eheim tubing is expensive if you dont really need the benefits.

20190216_142500.jpg 20190126_131945.jpg 20190126_132005.jpg

Reactions: BadBrad

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
I have also used the clear vinyl hose. Got mine at Home Depot. I don’t recall seeing it in black there, but I’m sure you could find it in black somewhere online cheap enough.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Corrugated pond tubing is all I will use any more. The corrugation is on the outside, the inside is smooth. The tubing is opaque black so no algae growth. You can bend the tubing with tight bends without linking. Comes in 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1" and even larger.

Everything else just sucks!

0210191905.jpg
This is 3/4" corrugated pond tubing. Nice and flexible without kinking. So much nicer to work with! I repeat, the inside is smooth... not corrugated!

My local home depot carries the 3/4" corrugated pond tubing in their gardening section... not with the rest of the tubing in the plumbing section. Of course online is much cheaper!

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Corrugated pond tubing is all I will use any more. The corrugation is on the outside, the inside is smooth. The tubing is opaque black so no algae growth. You can bend the tubing with tight bends without linking. Comes in 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1" and even larger.

Everything else just sucks!

View attachment 1360938
This is 3/4" corrugated pond tubing. Nice and flexible without kinking. So much nicer to work with! I repeat, the inside is smooth... not corrugated!

My local home depot carries the 3/4" corrugated pond tubing in their gardening section... not with the rest of the tubing in the plumbing section. Of course online is much cheaper!
I’ll be finding this next time myself. I hope this will work for you NCHornet.

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
How do you connect this the FX6 aquavalve? Since it is ribbed, does the hose clamp still work without any leaks?
1” Corrugated pond tubing for FX6?

How do you hang it on the tank side?

I don’t care for the fx hose clamps either, hose too stiff, hose clamp on tank does not stay straight but direction of hose angle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store