What do I have here?

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
I made a couple pickups today and this was one of them. He was stuck in a tank of africans and was only labeld as a mixed cichlid. Seemed to be holding his own in there but had to take him home. Looks kinda like a flowerhorn to me, but just putting it out there to see what the experts think. hybrid1.jpg hybrid2.jpg hybrid3.jpg

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
So I know nothing about the different types of flowerhorns, so what type would this be?

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
"Mixed cichlid" could actually be an appropriate term for Flowerhorns. But I must admit I prefer Flowerhorn. Nice Red Dragon Spence!!!!! His head/kok looks like it has some nice potential. I don't know what size tank you have him in, or who his tank mates are, but just be ready to give him his own tank, or sell him, if his aggression becomes to rough on his tank mates. That fish has some great potential. Please keep us updated as he settles in and grows.

Reactions: Spence

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
Got him in a 75 with a female cabuya con and a couple young female green terrors. I’m currently trying to rehome the terrors. I’m kind of hoping the Cabuya and Flowerhorn find a way to get along together but I don’t expect that.

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
Here he/she is after settling in for a couple days. Still has some ragged fins from being in the african tank, but is healing nicely. I'm really curious how it'll look when it has a bit more size. Even though I know its not some recognized strain, I still like the look.
flowerhorn settled in.jpg

Reactions: MrsE88

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
This ZZ will be a stunner, the kok looks like a good potential. Enjoy ur new flowerhorn.

Reactions: Spence
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store