150 gallon wild discus project

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Nice do you have some recent pictures of the tank?
I’m currently in the process of doing a big maintenance project on my display tank right now. I took all the old sand out since it really starting getting a nasty color to it and decided I wanted to do a very think layer of white sand for the tank so I can really keep the water prestine in order to grow the fish out quicker and much healthier. Will update a video in the next week when everything is complete and fish are settled in.

I never really go into discus (not really a big cichlid guy and discus are really high maintenance) but it's really exciting for me to see other people set up a tank for them. Unfortunately a lot of people buy discus without realizing what they are getting into, so it's always nice to see someone doing it right.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I never really go into discus (not really a big cichlid guy and discus are really high maintenance) but it's really exciting for me to see other people set up a tank for them. Unfortunately a lot of people buy discus without realizing what they are getting into, so it's always nice to see someone doing it right.
Oh ya. It’s quite the grind. I ended up being a little overstalked on my display tank and wanted to keep growing these wilds out to their full potential and hopefully get them to pair up so moved them to their own 75 gallon growout tank with straight RO water treated with discus essentials to remineralize the water. They will basically be in very similar water to what they came from
In the wild. They already seem loads happier in their own tank and in this water. The geophagus I had with them in the display were just too crazy and hogged all the food.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Yeah my understanding is that it's quite hard to cohab stuff with discus. Are the cardinal tetras in there yet?
So plans changed and I’m currently now growing out my wilds in their own separate tank for a while. I have geo sveni in the display tank so the tetras would’ve gotten eaten. When in setup a display for the wilds I’ll put tetras in with them at that time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store