Lesions and white patches

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm sorry to hear this. If it is Septicemia, it is a monster of a disease. I lost 75% of my stock to it years ago and ended up putting euthanizing the remaining 25%. The mortality rate is extremely high. Start the strongest meds as possible, as early as possible, don't wait. If this person waits, they will lose the stock and likely more.

Make sure you don't have any possible contaminants to your own stock, jaws. I would hate to see you hit with this disease.
Sorry to hear it wiped you out. I really hope he gets lucky and can beat it. Guy loves his polys man.

Reactions: tlindsey and JK47

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It may "not" be septicemia, so it might be a good idea to get a test done, at a veterinary university, or some lab where they can check for it.
If it is septicemia, I (personally) would euthanize, and sterilize the entire tank and filter system, and anything that touched the water before adding any new fish.
But I tend to do that, when faced with a disease that can easily become epidemic.
I just received some wild fish, and along with a few ick spots, I noticed one with cloudy eyes. I am treating the tank for ick, with 18 gallons of sea water added, but the plan was to euthanize the bacteria infected fish the next day, before it spread. Luckily it jumped out during the night and saved me the trouble.
fullsizeoutput_d7e.jpeg
I don't euthanize for something simple like ick, but other more difficult diseases cause a dilemma, especially now, where meds are impossible to get on the island.
I have one more cichlid that appears to have Lymphocistis, and I am contemplating euthanizing it for the same reasons. Lymph is viral, and virus's are not really treatable.
fullsizeoutput_dc9.jpeg
It appears to be handling well, and maybe its immune system will fight it off, but the thought of it spreading, is the main concern and may not be worth the damage it could do long term to others in the tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
It may "not" be septicemia, so it might be a good idea to get a test done, at a veterinary university, or some lab where they can check for it.
If it is septicemia, I (personally) would euthanize, and sterilize the entire tank and filter system, and anything that touched the water before adding any new fish.
But I tend to do that, when faced with a disease that can easily become epidemic.
I just received some wild fish, and along with a few ick spots, I noticed one with cloudy eyes. I am treating the tank for ick, with 18 gallons of sea water added, but the plan was to euthanize the bacteria infected fish the next day, before it spread. Luckily it jumped out during the night and saved me the trouble.
View attachment 1361219
I don't euthanize for something simple like ick, but other more difficult diseases cause a dilemma, especially now, where meds are impossible to get on the island.
I have one more cichlid that appears to have Lymphocistis, and I am contemplating euthanizing it for the same reasons. Lymph is viral, and virus's are not really treatable.
View attachment 1361220
It appears to be handling well, and maybe its immune system will fight it off, but the thought of it spreading, is the main concern and may not be worth the damage it could do long term to others in the tank.
As always.... thanks man. I'll forward this info on to him.

Septicemia can set in this fast ? No new fish that im aware of and no feeders. Only thing that stands out is the water quality went down the drain with the dead dat not being removed while he was away.

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I know my buddy is going to try and cure the fish... i would too but at what point would you guys start considering euthanasia? I think furan 2 calls for 3 doses or something.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I know i asked already but is there a way to determine if its viral short of getting it tested at a lab ? Im guessing not. If the foul water is to blame could that be an indicator if its bacterial or not ?
Sorry for all the questions. The guy is absolutely sick over this, cant say i blame him

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I know i asked already but is there a way to determine if its viral short of getting it tested at a lab ? Im guessing not. If the foul water is to blame could that be an indicator if its bacterial or not ?
Sorry for all the questions. The guy is absolutely sick over this, cant say i blame him
Not really without culturing. Most of the time just a guessing game based on a combination of symptoms and fish/tankamtes, water quality in a certain setting. Without truly knowing tis better to treat and hope it’s a bacteria sensitive to the right abx in this case. Cheaper to treat with a med or buy a new fish than to go to the vet but I have no idea what a visit would cost. I’m just assume.

Tough when ur invested in something and small little thing comes and potentially wipes out everything. All of us are like this as anything could wipe out all our stock.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Not really without culturing. Most of the time just a guessing game based on a combination of symptoms and fish/tankamtes, water quality in a certain setting. Without truly knowing tis better to treat and hope it’s a bacteria sensitive to the right abx in this case. Cheaper to treat with a med or buy a new fish than to go to the vet but I have no idea what a visit would cost. I’m just assume.

Tough when ur invested in something and small little thing comes and potentially wipes out everything. All of us are like this as anything could wipe out all our stock.
Im hoping for him its the bacterial version. He hasnt added new fish so hopefully thats a positive. Fih were healthy before his trip, keeping fingers crossed. If my group got wiped out id be heart broken

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Im hoping for him its the bacterial version. He hasnt added new fish so hopefully thats a positive. Fih were healthy before his trip, keeping fingers crossed. If my group got wiped out id be heart broken
Fingers crossed frank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store