TURQUOISE jewel cichlid!

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
Found this guy at my second favorite fish store. I’m wondering if these guys are a separate species from the red jewels? Or are they just a color mutation? Also can they be crossbred? Here is pics doesn’t really do just because his color is very intense.

image.jpg image.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have seen them looking like that with the red color muted when they are stressed in shop tanks.

With space, peace and a little TLC should be shimmering red soon

Reactions: Jexnell and Matteus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of Hemichromis species that don't always or constantly sport the red color, and especially when new to a tank, show what might be called submissive coloration.
H cerasogastor
H exsul
H sp Guinea 1 and 2
H stellifer
all show duller colors when semi adult, or in a submissive mode.
H cerasogastor and stellifer were both readily available in the US as far back as over 5 years ago from specialty cichlid breeders in my area.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Last I heard, no one really knows if the Turquoise version is a line bred variant or if it is a hybrid.The likely case is probably both.

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
Last I heard, no one really knows if the Turquoise version is a line bred variant or if it is a hybrid.The likely case is probably both.
Can they be bred with red Jewels? So they’re are a man made color variant like the electric blue jack dempsey?

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
I like his look
Me too and he’s only gotten brighter. I like how he has a full blue body with red tips on his fins and the middle parts of the fins are yellow. I tried yesterday to add some zebra danios which I thought would be fast enough to survive with him but he ate all four of them!

Reactions: Matteus

cesc776

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
Me too and he’s only gotten brighter. I like how he has a full blue body with red tips on his fins and the middle parts of the fins are yellow. I tried yesterday to add some zebra danios which I thought would be fast enough to survive with him but he ate all four of them!
I cant answer any of the questions but he looks very much like one of mine. Couldn’t get any good pictures but he is as blue as yours in the right light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store