HELP FEEDING MY AROWANA

Joepardo13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2019
I just bought a silver arowana, and its about 5-6 inches. The store said they feed it feeder minnows. Right now for the past 3 days ive been feeding it 2-3 minnows a day. Is 2-3 minnows a day a lot or too little for this arowana??

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just bought a silver arowana, and its about 5-6 inches. The store said they feed it feeder minnows. Right now for the past 3 days ive been feeding it 2-3 minnows a day. Is 2-3 minnows a day a lot or too little for this arowana??

Feeder minnows are the worst to feed due to some feeders being infected with parasites and other pathogens. I personally feed Arowana floating Carnivore food sticks, freeze dried shrimp. You can train Arowana to except chunks of Tilapia.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I would try to transition to a variety of pellets. If your arowana doesn't initial take pellets given what it's use to minnows, I would try to supplement with frozen shrimp (shell peeled and remove tail) and tilapia it adjusts to the pellets.

To be honest there's some days when I just don't have the time to thaw out, and it's always good to know I can rely on carnisticks/pellets too. Good luck.

HuffJR2019

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2019
Florida, USA
I use chopped tilapia, chopped shrimp and some pellets to feed my arowana in my grow tank (my clown knife really appreciates it too.)

Tilapia is pretty easy to store for me and all my fish love it so I prefer frozen foods over pellets just because the fish seem to enjoy it more. I've heard of others feeding various types of seafood but regular shrimp/tilapia seems to do the trick for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store