Im back. New tank...need suggestions 125g

mitchkulis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hey everyone,

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 125G for a steal so now Im ready for your stocking/aquascape suggestions. I have a ton of cichlid experience, but have never kept natives. I was thinking of this...

Pumkinseed, sunfish, bluegill, maybe perch, creek chub, minnows.

With scapes of river rock and driftwood. Sand or soft substrate. Easy plants such as anubias or colder hardy species

Filters came with it and theres one diatom canister and one hang on filter waiting to be used. Lighting looks like compact fluorescent but i may upgrade. Stand will be stained and i wanna cover up that hideous gap at top. Here it is...20190217_212333.jpg 20190217_212403.jpg 20190217_212330.jpg

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I see you're from Wisconsin, I had a 125g tank set up in my college house back in the day and we would put crappies and blue gills in the tank when they were too small to eat but big enough for the keep. They looked great in that size tank. Had 1 large common pleco that lived with them and he would keep the tank glass clean.

mitchkulis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I see you're from Wisconsin, I had a 125g tank set up in my college house back in the day and we would put crappies and blue gills in the tank when they were too small to eat but big enough for the keep. They looked great in that size tank. Had 1 large common pleco that lived with them and he would keep the tank glass clean.
Yes Im a proud wisconsinite. Thats awesome that you kept them with a pleco. Did you keep a heater in there? I would have thought maybe a pleco would need a heater. Mine will be in the basement so it will be kind of cooler down there.

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I don't think we had a heater in ours. The common pleco is pretty hardy. Our tank sat in our livingroom and was usually in the low 60's for temperature. The Pleco was giant, he had to have been over 12" long. He ate all the fish poop and grew super fast. I don't think we ever fed the pleco. We would just drop-in our extra minnows from a day of fishing. probably once a week.

Reactions: mitchkulis

DRC

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Hey everyone,

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 125G for a steal so now Im ready for your stocking/aquascape suggestions. I have a ton of cichlid experience, but have never kept natives. I was thinking of this...

Pumkinseed, sunfish, bluegill, maybe perch, creek chub, minnows.

With scapes of river rock and driftwood. Sand or soft substrate. Easy plants such as anubias or colder hardy species

Filters came with it and theres one diatom canister and one hang on filter waiting to be used. Lighting looks like compact fluorescent but i may upgrade. Stand will be stained and i wanna cover up that hideous gap at top. Here it is...View attachment 1361122 View attachment 1361121 View attachment 1361123
I’m in the process of transferring some that I grew out in a 55 over to my 125. I have a Longear Sunfish from Zimmerman’s that’s a knockout and rivals the look of some tropical fish. A Warmouth that has a lot of personality and makes a good tank mate. A pumpkin seed that honestly isn’t what I’d hoped for, very bland color so I’m guessing maybe female, and no real interesting behavior, she’s not aggressive so there’s at least that. A yellow perch which adds a very different body shape and color to the tank, also a good tank mate. A brown bullhead catfish, that is getting big enough it can’t hide all of the time like some smaller cats will. Also, I kind of wanted to stick with a N. American theme so I also have a Green Texas that adds nice color and interesting behavior. Not much aggression from the Texas after it established dominance in the tank. The main challenger was the Pumpkinseed, so maybe losing that challenge has contributed to the Pumpkinseed being drab and uninteresting now? Anyway that’s my lineup for my 125 and I don’t plan on adding anything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store