Uniseals between sump tanks?

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
As I'm working on the plumbing for my 300 I'm looking at all the extra room I have in the stand.
It dawned on me that if I rotated my return pump 90° and pushed it to the end of the stand I would have enough room for an additional sump tank to gain more water volume.
I'm thinking about making another tank out of 1/4" acrylic and plumbing it into the end of the existing sump. I figured I would run a couple of 1-1/2" PVC pipes between the tanks. It would be easy enough to use standard bulkheads to connect them but the closer I can get the tanks together the larger I can make the second tank. Having two bulkheads in series would really burn up the real estate. Using Uniseals would allow me to get the tanks much closer.

Has anybody used Uniseals in this application? I see the guys from Bulk Reef Supply recommend this more for plumbing to curves surfaces.

Are the seals hard to install? Hard to disassemble in the future? As I mentioned, the acrylic is only 1/4" thick.

Thanks1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Uniseals work fine on flat surfaces as well as curved surfaces. Soak the uniseals in hot water for a few minutes to soften the rubber and they will be easier to insert into the hole in the tank. A touch of silicone grease will make it easier to insert and remove the pipe.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I've personally not used uniseals but have seen some of the videos, including BRS. If you use uniseals, how much closer would you be able to connect sumps as compared to using bulkheads? Just asking for my own education and getting a visual.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
Uniseals work fine on flat surfaces as well as curved surfaces. Soak the uniseals in hot water for a few minutes to soften the rubber and they will be easier to insert into the hole in the tank. A touch of silicone grease will make it easier to insert and remove the pipe.
In your experience are they as fail-safe as bulkheads?

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I've personally not used uniseals but have seen some of the videos, including BRS. If you use uniseals, how much closer would you be able to connect sumps as compared to using bulkheads? Just asking for my own education and getting a visual.
I'm guesstimating the Uniseals can't protrude from the surface anymore than 3/8"-1/2". Using two butted up against each other would put the tanks 3/4"-1" apart.

If you used two bulkheads and wanted to keep the ability to take them apart at a later date (without using a sawzall) you would need a union between them. If you total the length of a union plus two bulkhead flanges you gotta be in the 5"-6" range. That difference would convert to many gallons of extra water in my sump system.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
If you used two bulkheads and wanted to keep the ability to take them apart at a later date (without using a sawzall) you would need a union between them. If you total the length of a union plus two bulkhead flanges you gotta be in the 5"-6" range. That difference would convert to many gallons of extra water in my sump system.
DUH!

I could also butt the heads of two bulkheads together with a piece of pipe glued between them. This would put the nuts on the inside of both tanks and make it much easier to take things apart.
I think the head thickness of my schedule 80 bulkheads is about 3/4". This would get the tanks 1-1/2" apart.

I'm getting concerned here because I'm STARTING TO QUOTE MYSELF!

You'll know I've gone off the deep end when I start referring to myself in the third person!

Is it FRIDAY yet?

hahahahaha.......

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
on my tank the overflow box is 1/4" and the tank is 1/2" and my bulk head was plenty long enough to cover the span of both pushed together. I used silicone between the two and gaskets on the inside of the tank and overflow box. you cant get any closer than that. I too plan on adding an additional sump that will be used as a top off and overflow reservoir for my main sump connected this way. I hope that makes sense when you read it lol. found a pic...

Reactions: Randys

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
on my tank the overflow box is 1/4" and the tank is 1/2" and my bulk head was plenty long enough to cover the span of both pushed together. I used silicone between the two and gaskets on the inside of the tank and overflow box. you cant get any closer than that. I too plan on adding an additional sump that will be used as a top off and overflow reservoir for my main sump connected this way. I hope that makes sense when you read it lol. found a pic...
Man, do I feel foolish. I've really been overthinking this.

Buy an extra seal and span the two tanks with one bulkhead. Of course!

Thanks

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store