Texas Cichlid (short body)

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Hoping this is the right forum for these guys:

Got a short bodied Texas that was sold to me as a “blue yuan bo blood parrot”, a dozen or more different people I’ve asked have since told me it is a short bodied Texas Cichlid. If anyone has any experience, I’d like some assistance as I’ve decided to keep it.

The plan was for it to go in a 120g (48”x24”x24”) with a vampire pleco, a school of turquoise rainbows and a delhezi Bichir. It’s temp requirements put the delhezi out of the picture near as I can tell, unless someone can tell me that Texas can handle more than 75 Fahrenheit...?

Mostly just wondering about the fortold aggression and possible dither/target I can put it to keep it minimal. Will the turquoise work?

mitchkulis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Ive kept them at 78F just fine. You should post a photo of him so we can check that out. Turqoise rainbows would prob work depending on the size of tank and his personality. Tiger barbs or rosy barbs would maybe even be better.

Reactions: Supalah17

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Plenty of Texas here do just fine in our daily 80-82 temps. I really know don't if your desired community will work; the last (Blue) Texas I had was one territorial SOB who wouldn't tolerate any fish but I've seen others kept ok in community tanks; guess it depends on their personality. But in fact I've never seen a short body Texas before, as mitchkulis says it would be nice to see a photo.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Plenty of Texas here do just fine in our daily 80-82 temps. I really know don't if your desired community will work; the last (Blue) Texas I had was one territorial SOB who wouldn't tolerate any fish but I've seen others kept ok in community tanks; guess it depends on their personality. But in fact I've never seen a short body Texas before, as mitchkulis says it would be nice to see a photo.
Once all the hard scape is done there should be plenty of hiding places and line of sight breaks, but I’m worried that the short body will be small enough to fit into those escape points more than anything. He’s in a QT/grow out with the Vampire pleco right now and doesn’t bother him unless they’re going for the same blood worms I dropped in. Otherwise he hangs out right by that fake drift wood in the pictures.

I suppose I’ll have to just test the rainbows and see if they work or have to be moved.

Reactions: islandguy11

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Lots of info on these in the cichlid hybrid forum. Use the search feature in that forum. Mfk has been going a long time, lots of info to be had if you search.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store