A. rivulatus challenge

Aundinoacara rivulatus size-- how big are your male rivulatus?

• 9"

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 10"

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 11"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12" --Prove it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 12" --Prove it

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • less than 9"

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I'm throwing down. I keep seeing people say rivulatus get 12 inches, as though it's typical. I've had my share of mature, beefy male rivulatus and seen many more and I say 10 inches is more realistic, 9-ish not uncommon, and 12 an exception. How many of you have actually had one 12 inches? I bet not many. If so let's see them, with proof of size.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Total length, right?
Yes, head to tip of the tail. I'm not saying they can't get 12", I'm saying it's exceptional, like a 7 ft. human. Like a 15" frontosa when 12 or 13 is more common. Feel free to post photos of your big boys, even if they're not 12 inch beasts. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrobxc

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
My terror is around 1 1/2 yrs old and is a solid 8". I'm curious how much growth he has left in him.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I used to live in Hawaii and there was a pond absolutely full of huge terrors. I am heading back in April for the first time in over a decade and I hope to net some juveniles to bring back with me.
Nice. What's your guess on size? They look thick and tall, but photos aren't easy to judge. I could try and calculate in the bucket shot based on measuring the top of my hand (what's visible in the photo) with an open thumb, the fish is cradled in his hand as far as the anal fin, etc. etc., but how big is his hand, etc?

Wonder what they fed them, aside from the bugs and whatever else they probably ate in an outdoor pond. That's like angelfish. I grew up in Chicago. Don't know about now, but at one time Shedd Aquariuim had a SA exhibit with unbelievably large silver scalare looking angelfish. Don't know collection point or what they fed them, but they were the largest angels I've seen, probably 14" body size, super thick, not many tanks would hold them.

...Keep them coming. My point is not to prove they can't get 12", I've seen them that size, even a bit larger, just not very often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store