How big to go for Python water changer

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Hi

Just getting back into the hobby.

How big should I go with a python water Change system? Bigger and longer better then going for shorter neck and shorter hose? Yes I know the shorter ones are cheaper but is there anything I could not be thinking of as to why I would need longer? Does anybody regret not going for 50 foot plus instead of 25 feet?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hi

Just getting back into the hobby.

How big should I go with a python water Change system? Bigger and longer better then going for shorter neck and shorter hose? Yes I know the shorter ones are cheaper but is there anything I could not be thinking of as to why I would need longer? Does anybody regret not going for 50 foot plus instead of 25 feet?
Well, that would depend on the distance to your nearest sink, or door/window outside.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I could be wrong but it seems the longer the hose the less suction there is. Shorter hose would get better suction. My longest length between my tanks and sink was a little over 25 feet. I had the 25 foot Python and it barely reached. I didn't want to buy the 50 foot hose due to how much more expensive it was and I would have so much excess. So we bought the tubing from home Depot and made a 10 foot extension for pennies compared to buying from Python.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
The neck size depends on the height and openings on your tanks...i dont like to put half my arm in when i siphon my taller tanks but at the same time too tall of a neck makes it hard to reach corners of some of my tanks....so there are variables to consider

Reactions: PKPuffer

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I originally had a 36" neck and 50' hose. It was hard to reach a siphon in the last two inches of the neck. I didn't really need the extra two inches so cut it off.

My suggestion would be to get the shortest of neck and hose that meets your needs. It helps to know where exactly you'll be draining to determine hose length. I like the longer necks so you don't stick your arm/hand in the water.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
I have the 50’ hose because I need it to reach all my tanks from the kitchen sink for refilling after water changes. I do 4 tanks at once all in the same day. I have three different tube lengths. 12”, 18” and a 24”. Now, here’s the tricky part. When vacuuming, the longer the tube, the less water flow/suction. I run my waste water outdoors at floor level. If you have the short tube, it sometimes sucks to hard for vacuuming and you can simply adjust the valve to slow it down. With the longest tube, depending on your substrate, it may or may not have enough suction. With sand it is perfect for me, but if you have rock/gravel you probably wouldn’t have enough. Therefore, you can either use the shorter tube with half/part of your arm in the tank or leave the long one on and hook the hose to the sink adapter and run water in conjunction with the gravity feed to give it more suction. I hope this didn’t confuse you, but this is how the python works for me. I would be lost without mine! My bucket carrying days are over! And , if I get my 125g sump with auto drip going, the python will be used much less. Lol!

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Get the longer hose and cut to exact size you need. Then use the extra for any other hose needs:). The python hose is much better quality than any vinyl crap you get at the big box store. I have used it for many other aquarium needs.

Reactions: Mdoka and PKPuffer

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
I have a 50' hose with a 30" neck. My tank is 31" tall, and has a sand bottom, so having the long neck is nice, but I do wish I had gotten the shorter hose. I have shortened it so that it reaches my toilet with a little slack left over, but I never use the hose that was cut away, so it's kind of a waste.

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks for all the info, one more concern, none of my faucets have a part that looks compatible with python attachment, just go for universal attachment? Python makes it? How troublesome is a sink that is not compatible with the parts that come with the python?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store