What am I working with here folks

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
coolcomfort coolcomfort The picture is what I meant by Durso. As already mentioned above if you just do a straight pipe with strainer it’s still going to make a lot of noise.
You can do a Durso style like your picture and still install The strainer.
The Durso is quite because it’s intake is under water.
My favorite drain is a Herbie style drain. It uses two drains one with a full siphon regulated by a valve and a second drain that is used to take the small amount of water the first cannot and also used as an emergency drain.
There is a third option but it uses three pipes called a Bean Animal drain. You can look into these as well.
If this were my tank I would used the lower drain with a full siphon regulated with a valve to just slightly less than the return pump. Use the other as an overflow to return the small amount back to the sump.
I would then plump my return over the side.
This in my opinion would be the quieter option and require no more drilling.
Or if you don’t like that idea do the Durso style but you will not have an emergency drain should the Durso become clogged or the strainer blocked.

Reactions: coolcomfort

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
I’ve attached the before and after. I’ve successfully removed the glass dividers to this tank. It actually took me about an hour or two.

To further this project I’ve decided to take the pre existing pump out of the stand. It is way too big for a 100 gallon take and weighs too much. Looks like a car engine. I plan on keeping the filtration which is a nice sump and bio wheel. I will be following up with this posts about what type of pump I should pursue. If you have any recommendations feel free to tell me.

782401D9-6D3A-4416-B294-6AF000B76603.jpeg 574FC638-BFBB-4A1E-BDBA-31F5DE8777C6.jpeg

Last edited:

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Nice size tank. What are the dimensions? You did a nice job removing those dividers!
Thanks, the dimensions are 48 x 24 x 18 Tall, around 90 gallons. For some reason it looks a lot bigger in person.

I have managed to clear out the chiller from the stand. Now it's just the pump, sump, stand, and tank. I have to work with the PVC and close up some of the holes that were for the chiller. I'm also looking for a nice glass lid so that light will be able to go through it. All in all this is a good and easy project. I was also hoping to remake the stand, but I probably won't get to do that until a while.

Reactions: Lepisosteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store