Good info about use of salts in aquariums

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I watched enough to lose count how many times he waved the bag around, I didn't skim that much. You can spin his reasons all day long, but to me it was commercial overkill, and didn't come off to me as being all about the hobby. As Duane pointed out, accuracy comes via weight, and one can always test salinity with a hydrometer. He talked about creating a database regarding salinity tolerance among the various species, well that's how real data would/should be collected, not by guess or by golly using teaspoons and tablespoons. I've been using kosher salt (pure NaCl) from the grocery store for forever. People with larger systems should be advised to buy from other bulk sources, such as hardware stores etc that sell bulk "pure" NaCl. Had he waved that kind of advice around even a fraction of the times that he did his new Fritz salt, that would have been what I would consider helping the hobby.
I'm not so great at math, just wondering what would be the advised weight per 100 gallons in the case of using salt as a once-in-a-while preventive measure (as opposed to the 3.5 lb per 100 gallons Duane uses for ich treatment)?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I honestly would never recommend using salt as a once-in-a-while preventative measure.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I honestly would never recommend using salt as a once-in-a-while preventative measure.
Well you learn something new everyday :) And why is that, because it would reduce the effectiveness when you really needed it?

I've used it a a preventive measure with cichlid/flowerhorn tanks (every other water change) in the past, and to no ill effect that I could notice, fish were always quite healthy (Drakaris' recent weird injury aside) and vibrant, but maybe this was overkill and unnecessary (and lucky that I really didn't require it for any very serious problems with them). Ich itself has only been a problem for me once or maybe twice in the past 10+ years (last time in a 20 gallon solo betta tank with plants) but likely there were other factors.

Would you use salt in the case of treating a fish that had an external wound (e.g. from a decoration or fighting) to help it heal faster and reduce chance of infection?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I agree with this.
For our further learning why shouldn't aquarium salt be used as now and then preventive measure? What's the harm? It's certainly not difficult at all to find people/websites recommending salt as a preventive measure in tanks all over the internet (and just as many if not more arguing your/RD's approach) -- it seems to be one of those eternal arguments in the hobby... But now that I've heard it from 2 fishkeeper's on this thread whose knowledge I very much respect, it'd be great to hear your reasoning against doing so.

Reactions: J. H.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My reasoning is I never add anything to my tap water that I don't have to. I generally use salt when dealing with issues that could cause osmoregulatory issues, such as stress from transport, relocation, etc, as well as what you mentioned, injuries. Adding salt to freshwater reduces osmotic pressure. A fairly straightforward read on this subject:

https://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleOsmosis.htm

But using salt (or anything else for that matter) as a preventative doesn't make any sense to me. A fish shouldn't generally be under osmotic stress, and if it is one should be taking a closer look at their set up, and removing the stressors, not salting them down. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
My reasoning is I never add anything to my tap water that I don't have to. I generally use salt when dealing with issues that could cause osmoregulatory issues, such as stress from transport, relocation, etc, as well as what you mentioned, injuries. Adding salt to freshwater reduces osmotic pressure. A fairly straightforward read on this subject:

https://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleOsmosis.htm

But using salt (or anything else for that matter) as a preventative doesn't make any sense to me. A fish shouldn't generally be under osmotic stress, and if it is one should be taking a closer look at their set up, and removing the stressors, not salting them down. I hope that makes sense.
Yes in fact it does make good sense what you say, Thx for explaining Neil and also the link. I guess my (not so great in hindsight) train of thought was that the salt (in not overly heavy doses), besides helping to promote slime coat, would at least to some degree help kill the bad stuff (as they're mostly single cell organisms) before they even had a chance to latch onto or go inside the fish. Tbh I really hadn't thought about osmotic stress, and take your good point that fish really shouldn't have that or be subject to it if everything else is cool.

As a side note I haven't been adding any salt with the 2 new Aro tanks (except via occasional Wish Arowana Spa almond leaf treatment which has some in it), and will continue this way unless otherwise really required. Thx again for sharing your knowledge Neil.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Barrett, if you google the following paper from 2003 it should come up in its entirety in PDF format.

Recent developments and improvements in ornamental fish packaging systems for air transport

I think that you would find parts of it very interesting. I copied it years ago, but probably best if I don't post the entire paper here. lol
It was put out by the AVA in Singapore, and discusses osmotic stress, and salt, and various concentrations. It also talks about using vitamin c as a nutritional prophylaxis, something that I think is key when it comes to the diet of fish, as many species of fish lack the ability of ascorbate synthesis, so supplementation is key, especially if/when a fish is under any kind of stress.

https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/iub.1360

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also agree you don't randomly add stuff to fix what ain't broke.
With any bacteria or simple life form, the ability to build up resistance and evolve at rapid rate is paramount to their survival. That is why are ick strains from lake Tanganyika that withstand much higher osmotic levels than cool water American strains.
Providing tannins to black water fish is not the same, these are antibacterial, and the black water fish species immune systems have evolved to to take advantage of this part of their habitat, and may be compromised without it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store