New 325 glass Arowana tank (7ft) with simple set-up

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Do you have a link of where you purchased this system?
Yep, though it's from a local Amazon-like online shopping place called Lazada, so not sure about shipping rates to US. Maybe you could find something similar on Amazon or Ebay though. Of course they're all made in China -- no complaints on build quality though, it's put together quite nicely, little to go wrong. Unit cost (15 trays + base) would convert to about USD$55.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/a...4m.searchlist.list.70.47f15dc4FQzCaH&search=1

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
few things..

lazada was bought over by alibaba so it takes quality sellers (based on reviews and quantity sold) from taobao to list them in lazada

for the OHF, you may have to consider to put it along the length of the tank instead so you can put more boxes across rather than stack too high up.. OHF is a common filter in SG.

also, instead of sunsun, you may want to consider the jebao 104 instead.. similar price but better quality and bigger room for media..

lastly, you may want consider tanning lights since you are testing out WTT anway

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
few things..

lazada was bought over by alibaba so it takes quality sellers (based on reviews and quantity sold) from taobao to list them in lazada

for the OHF, you may have to consider to put it along the length of the tank instead so you can put more boxes across rather than stack too high up.. OHF is a common filter in SG.

also, instead of sunsun, you may want to consider the jebao 104 instead.. similar price but better quality and bigger room for media..

lastly, you may want consider tanning lights since you are testing out WTT anway
Thanks for your input Galantzspeed, and yep I know OHF's are popular in SG, that's where I first saw it (in videos) and got the idea to get one -- strangely though they really aren't used in Thailand and I couldn't even find them at Chatuchak aquarium market, hence the (overseas) order thru Lazada.

I think going up with additional trays is easier as it doesn't require adding another bottom tray where the water collects/exits, which going longer would. I saw a place on Lazada just selling individual trays, but I'm in no rush to do this, I'm sure it's currently contributing enough to the nitrogen cycle, esp. with other filtration. Maybe when he gets bigger or if I add fish (unlikely).

I'm pretty much done with the WTT (too boring/bright), and not really into tanning fish (I think such is only temporary effect, just like with humans, and too stressful on fish to continue long-term), so just I'm just going to keep going with the normal LED's for now.

I hadn't really heard of the Jebao 104, I don't think it's as common as Sunsun and Atman here but I found one place online selling it, will check out some reviews, thx again for the tips buddy.

Reactions: RD.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I had a 24k gold X-back I got in 2012 before the heavy line breeding began and I found that the gold just came with age and size. I never performed WTT on it. Mine was not the highest quality specimen such as those seen today but for the time it wasn’t bad.

Now X-back aros have come so far that the gold covers the back and head on any decent quality fish. Grow it out, the gold will come with size.

F0D2EF44-B994-4C8E-9123-D2AD38F1CC72.jpeg FCCA4CDB-EE0F-4B30-AC9C-162985594D02.jpeg 040777E4-EF26-41C1-8B39-4E96ED7C495E.jpeg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Beautiful xback op. I need to buy one again. In Ontario their prices have dropped significantly. Now is the time to buy.

I must agree with RD. WTT is a sales gimmick. For all fish species the effect is short lasting. I believe the effect people notice is associated with the increase in size (age) of the fish during WTT and not due to the WTT itself.

Reactions: RD. and islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Beautiful xback op. I need to buy one again. In Ontario their prices have dropped significantly. Now is the time to buy.

I must agree with RD. WTT is a sales gimmick. For all fish species the effect is short lasting. I believe the effect people notice is associated with the increase in size (age) of the fish during WTT and not due to the WTT itself.
Thanks Matt, appreciate your input. And very true, prices have gone down quite a bit overall (esp. for golds compared to reds) and there are many stunning Aros available nowadays.

Regarding WTT I wasn't really using it for gold coloration, I know that'll come with age/size as you say, instead WTT is done specifically in the hopes it will further enhance a gold Arowana's shine/pearling/crossing, which is a separate thing from it's actual color.

Personally I'm on the fence about effectiveness of WTT -- as I think I said earlier in a previous post I've had 2 very experienced breeders tell me that it's not really a gimmick (though it can be used as such with inferior fish and dishonest/greedier sellers), and is effective in showing a fish's potential earlier, and helping to enhance the long-term shine/crossing, IF the fish is kept in WTT until it's about at least 14" or 15" (which few of us want to wait that long and so give up, like I did recently).

So given my GH is only about 12", and as per recent post is now in the process of transitioning out of the WTT, I can't really 100% prove/disprove that grooming theory.

Nonetheless I am curious to see what, if any, will be the effect on his level of crossing/shine after a few months out of WTT, will he lose some crossing or will good genetics prevail, only time will tell.

By the way, that's one awesome, Sumo-looking golden you had there! What were you feeding?

Reactions: Lepisosteus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Matt, appreciate your input. And very true, prices have gone down quite a bit overall (esp. for golds compared to reds) and there are many stunning Aros available nowadays.

Regarding WTT I wasn't really using it for gold coloration, I know that'll come with age/size as you say, instead WTT is done specifically in the hopes it will further enhance a gold Arowana's shine/pearling/crossing, which is a separate thing from it's actual color.

Personally I'm on the fence about effectiveness of WTT -- as I think I said earlier in a previous post I've had 2 very experienced breeders tell me that it's not really a gimmick (though it can be used as such with inferior fish and dishonest/greedier sellers), and is effective in showing a fish's potential earlier, and helping to enhance the long-term shine/crossing, IF the fish is kept in WTT until it's about at least 14" or 15" (which few of us want to wait that long and so give up, like I did recently).

So given my GH is only about 12", and as per recent post is now in the process of transitioning out of the WTT, I can't really 100% prove/disprove that grooming theory.

Nonetheless I am curious to see what, if any, will be the effect on his level of crossing/shine after a few months out of WTT, will he lose some crossing or will good genetics prevail, only time will tell.

By the way, that's one awesome, Sumo-looking golden you had there! What were you feeding?
A lot of people vouch for WTT. There’s a local aro seller that I provided most of the stock tanks for that has the same opinion as the two breeders you spoke with. Personally when I buy a fish, coral or any type of livestock I prefer to see it under regular daylight and normal tank conditions.

When I tried to sell my aro a year ago everyone kept messaging me saying it was a high back not a x-back and I got ripped off. Tough to tell people otherwise with how much their genetics have progressed. Most aren’t used to seeing what these fish used to look like. Very similar to modern day ray market involving BDs. What I remember as a BD and what a newcomer sees as a BD is drastically different. Yours is a fine example, showing excellent potential already. Gold right across the back and head. Such a beautiful fish you have.

After 4 years or so mine stopped putting on length in the 300DD and put on the girth. Was mainly fed crickets, mealworms and dragonflies. It would take anything though. Ate pellets and shrimp that were thrown in for the rays and pbass as well. I used to take the ATV out into a field on our property with a butterfly net in my hand. After a few passes through the field there would be 20+ dragonfly’s in the net. In that same field I could collect 50+ crickets within an hour. Mealworms I bought in bulk at a replfile shop in my area. I fed this guy/girl pretty much every time I walked by the tank. aha.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
A lot of people vouch for WTT. There’s a local aro seller that I provided most of the stock tanks for that has the same opinion as the two breeders you spoke with. Personally when I buy a fish, coral or any type of livestock I prefer to see it under regular daylight and normal tank conditions.

When I tried to sell my aro a year ago everyone kept messaging me saying it was a high back not a x-back and I got ripped off. Tough to tell people otherwise with how much their genetics have progressed. Most aren’t used to seeing what these fish used to look like. Very similar to modern day ray market involving BDs. What I remember as a BD and what a newcomer sees as a BD is drastically different. Yours is a fine example, showing excellent potential already. Gold right across the back and head. Such a beautiful fish you have.

After 4 years or so mine stopped putting on length in the 300DD and put on the girth. Was mainly fed crickets, mealworms and dragonflies. It would take anything though. Ate pellets and shrimp that were thrown in for the rays and pbass as well. I used to take the ATV out into a field on our property with a butterfly net in my hand. After a few passes through the field there would be 20+ dragonfly’s in the net. In that same field I could collect 50+ crickets within an hour. Mealworms I bought in bulk at a replfile shop in my area. I fed this guy/girl pretty much every time I walked by the tank. aha.
Again appreciate your input and nice comments Matt (though I'd re-highlight given the successful line breeding you mention there are so many fish of same of better caliber on the market now, and for really good prices (so hope you get another Xback :))

And I get what you say about classic gold Xbacks, I came across a forum thread somewhere recently and many were lamenting how hard it was to find classic golds like the one you had nowadays (which I personally admire as much as full Xbacks). Some also mentioned that many classic Malaysian golds will actually get a richer gold than many full Xbacks (it's just the latter simply has more scales that have shine/color).

But anyways that sounds like a helluva fun way to collect dragonflies and crickets!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lepisosteus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
there are so many fish of same of better caliber on the market now, and for really good prices (so hope you get another Xback :))
I’ll have to see where I will be working this next year. If I stay in the same city I’m in I’ll make a more permanent tank. If not, it may be some time before I get the aro I want. Until then I’ll live vicariously through you. Keep posting updates!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Beautiful fish. I like the drip trays. Is it a pain to keep the mech clean ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store