Central American tank

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Tank looking good. I like the open space feel.
Thanks, the plants had a bit of a die off but are starting to grow back, my original plan was to have the left side full of egeria densa for the fish to hide in and then the middle with the swords, I wanted them to get tall to fill out the tank but they’re slow growers so it will be a while before the tank is how I want it

Reactions: cockroach

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I like the scape! It may seem bare now, but as the plants grow and the fish mature it will dill out nicely I think.

Regarding the JD's... I kept JD's before and I found them incredibly shy & secretive. Almost always hiding. However, once I had a pair and they spawned it was as if a flip was switched and they became vicious killers. Separated the pair and they were shy again.

If you only have a single hiding place the JD may claim it and defend it - if you are concerned about aggression you could add more caves and sight breaks.

Reactions: Bertie07

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I like the scape! It may seem bare now, but as the plants grow and the fish mature it will dill out nicely I think.

Regarding the JD's... I kept JD's before and I found them incredibly shy & secretive. Almost always hiding. However, once I had a pair and they spawned it was as if a flip was switched and they became vicious killers. Separated the pair and they were shy again.

If you only have a single hiding place the JD may claim it and defend it - if you are concerned about aggression you could add more caves and sight breaks.
Thanks, this JD is actually pretty outgoing and follows me round the tank, which is weird as my previous one was very timid like you said. Did yours constantly change colour because mine seems to change colour all the time depending on the time of the day

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
He did change colour on occassion, but I don't recall it being a daily thing (nothing compared to a chocolate cichlid that I kept more recently - that thing was a bloody chameleon). When the JD's spawned the female went almost completely black. It was quite something.

Reactions: Bertie07

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
He did change colour on occassion, but I don't recall it being a daily thing (nothing compared to a chocolate cichlid that I kept more recently - that thing was a bloody chameleon). When the JD's spawned the female went almost completely black. It was quite something.
I had a chocolate cichlid that was like that but the JD seems to do it more than my chocolate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store