breeding bristlenose, I have some questions

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I mean I've got the basics down, I got caves, my water's fine, and I have a group of blue eyed lemon juveniles in my 29 growing out, as well as some albino longfins growing out in the 20 long. Of course, I will cut down my groups once they're big enough to sex, but till then I have some questions.
-How long is it gonna take for them to grow to breeding size? albino longfins are about an inch and a half with the tail, blue eyed lemons pushing 2.5 inches
-What ratio of males:females should I keep? 2 males 1 female? 2 males 2 females? m:f pair? 1 male 2 females? etc, I have 4 of each right now
-should I move fry to a growout or leave them in the main tank?
-what should I feed the group I have now to grow them faster? I'm already doing 10-25% water changes on both tanks daily.
-what would I feed fry to grow them faster?
that's all for now, thanks in advance

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I've been breeding them for a few years. They'll start breeding at about 2.5 inches in length.

I keep a ratio of 1 male to 2 females when I want them to spawn, but 2 males to 2 females also works. If you leave the fry in the tank, they will take longer to spawn again. I don't always move the fry.

I feed them hikari algae wafers and they get brine shrimp flakes and BBS.

What is the temp of your tank? I keep mine around 75. They've spawned in 75-80 degree tanks.

Good luck!

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Wait they start breeding at 2.5? I have some definite males that are already fighting for territory and they're at 2.5 already but they don't have the tentacles yet
Do females fight for territory to or
Also my tank's at 80 degrees right now
Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: amazontank

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I've been breeding them for a few years. They'll start breeding at about 2.5 inches in length.

I keep a ratio of 1 male to 2 females when I want them to spawn, but 2 males to 2 females also works. If you leave the fry in the tank, they will take longer to spawn again. I don't always move the fry.

I feed them hikari algae wafers and they get brine shrimp flakes and BBS.

What is the temp of your tank? I keep mine around 75. They've spawned in 75-80 degree tanks.

Good luck!
Is there a certain trigger that typically cause these guys to spawn?

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I wonder if you might have all females. I don’t see any bristles. There should be some by 2.5 inches.

Reactions: Matteus

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks! and yeah some of em are a bit smaller than 2.5, I measured them against the glass today and only one of em's 2.5 inches, two are just 2 inches, smallest is an inch and a half
I just went off of relative body shape with my guesses, but I'll just have to see what I end up with in a couple months
but yeah like what the other guy said, is there any trigger to get them to start to breed?

Reactions: Matteus

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I haven’t found any specific triggers. A cave, a boy and a girl, and water temp around 75.

Once they pair up - they’ll spawn regularly.

I think you just have some young fish. —- and you might have all girls.

I see part of the caves in the pics- they look good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store